My 2012 Digital Tool Kit
I wanted to share what I use everyday to manage Abraham Chronicles, my social media presence, and the daily what-nots of Dustin Valencia. I get giddy when I get to teach my wife a new trick for her iPhone. It’s who I am! So, without further adieu…
- 15″ MacBook Pro – 2.53 Ghz Intel Core i5; 4 GB memory; 500 GB storage; Mac OS X Lion
- iPhone 4S – 16 GB; iOS 5
- iPad2 – 32 GB; iOS 5 – more of a work thing right now; favorite app right now = Noteshelf (Because of my Pogo Sketch Plus!)
- Timbuk2 messenger bag – although I’m thinking of getting a backpack-styled bag. Any suggestions?
- Moleskine – I’m not fully digital in this regard yet… but I use this to capture random thoughts.
- Wunderlist – last year this became my task management app of choice. It syncs over the cloud to my iPhone/iPad. It has quietly nudged Things off the top spot these last six months.
- Skype – on it all day long, mostly for work… but usually around 10AM each morning I get to Skype with my girls. Highlight!
- Evernote – Live on it. Use it personally and professionally to store customer notes, blogpost drafts, pictures — you name it, it’s there.
- Twitter for Mac – When on my Mac, this is my Twitter client of choice. Intuitive and simple.
- Reeder – I know I’m missing out by not having it on my iPhone/iPad, but the Mac app was well worth the $10 I shelled out for it. Well, well, well worth it.
- OmmWriter – If I need to block everything out for 20 minutes and write, this is what I use.
- Chrome – Safari, bleh. Firefox, bleh. Chrome, yeah!
- iTunes – I’ve tried Spotify, Rdio, Pandora… but I keep coming back to my trusty ol’ iTunes and my vast library of songs that include Hall & Oats, Foo Fighters, and Huey Lewis & the News. REPEAT!
- Fantastical – iCal keeps me organized. Fantastical makes it easy to schedule events on my Mac using natural language. Brilliant!
- Alfred – Shift+Command+Space = Find anything on my Mac. Uhh…. YES!
- Pixlr – Don’t have Photoshop… like Snapheel (I think)… but if I need a quick edit this online editor is my choice!
- Facebook – Don’t care for the iPhone app (even though I have to use it), so I’ll stick with this for now.
- Compfight – The site that I use to find blog post images; it searches through photos that can be used legally through the Creative Commons license.
- Yahoo! Fantasy Sports – I like to dominate Fantasy Football. Sue me!
- Tweetbot for iPhone – Hands down the best iPhone Twitter app out there. Trust me on this one.
- Instagram – It’s like a little community, syncs to Twitter, and makes my photos like somewhat decent. I like!
- Dropbox – If my wife and I need to share documents (budgets, photos, etc.), this is it. Plus, it allows sharing folders with other folks!
- Amazon – I’m an unashamed Prime-guy. There have been at least 2-3 times this past week where I’m like, “Oh I need to order that (batteries, baby formula, random stuff).” Pull up the Amazon app, get a good/fair price, order it, and voila! It arrives at my doorstep in two days.
- ESV Bible – The YouVersion app is cool and all (especially for the reading plans), but I tend to do stick with this one — doesn’t require an Internet connection and it’s fast!
- Flipboard – The best personalized magazine app out there. Prefer it over Zite.
- Triptracker – Automagically imports/updates my flights, hotels, & car rentals into one simplified screen.
- Pulse – As far as a personalized news source, I like it a lot.
Wow, took longer than I expected… but I hope that you’ve found something useful/you want to try out/etc. These are the programs, apps and websites that I frequent everyday. They make me more productive (I think) and help shape most of my day.