What Kind of Man Am I Today?

Take a moment today to watch the following video from the band Sanctus Real. It’s a powerful message that we can all relate to.

Next, watch the following video where Matt Hammitt (lead singer) talks about the story behind the song.

He gets real and honest about the reasons why he wrote it.

Specifically, Matt and his wife open up and talk about resolving conflict, leadership, and fighting for your marriage.

At the end of the “Story Behind…” video, Matt poses the following questions:

What kind of man am I today?
Have I invested in my family emotionally and spiritually the way that God has called me to lead them?

Challenging questions. Ones that certainly prompt me to take a step back and evaluate how I am investing my time and energy. Their struggles in conflict resolution, in particular, resonate with me.

As I think through those questions, I’m reminded that my desire to lead my family is birthed out the way Christ leads me personally.

My heart wants to be willing–willing to demonstrate to them what it looks like to passionately pursue Christ. That needs to be my aim, and leading my wife and children will flow out of that.

HT: Justin Taylor

In what way can you lead your spouse/family today?

August 26, 2011

this is something that I work on daily. I can remember the first time I heard this song. I balled like a baby. We cannot leave them behind chasing and pursuing.

August 26, 2011

absolutely- thanks for the comment, michael.

• Ryan

August 26, 2011

Cool story. It’s nice when those in the spotlight open up their lives and share their struggles. As a new father it’s definitely easy to focus on my own ambitions and not those of my family, but this is a good reminder to think how I’m leading my family.

Thanks Dustin!

August 26, 2011

I’m the same way…. and I’m not even necessarily a “new” father. :)

• arny

August 26, 2011

Ok…ima come back and comment later….can’t listen to video at the moment….

Look for me later! LOL!

I want to do the comment justice…

I’ll be on the lookout!

• Tony J. Alicea

August 26, 2011

You know me so I’m going to bring it back to identity. I’m realizing that I can’t lead my future wife until my life is in order. I have to take care of myself and understand my value and worth comes from God. I have to work through my insecurities and selfishness with Him.

Once I’m grounded in who I am, I can lead my (future) wife in a healthy way. It’s not that I can’t do it otherwise, it just isn’t as effective.

August 26, 2011

Thanks for sharing, Tony. Always appreciate what you have to say – and what you said right there is spot on. Thanks!

August 26, 2011

Great story behind the song. Love to hear those.

I lead my family by leaving breadcrumbs behind me… OK, kidding. :)

I lead my family by first being led by Christ. I’ve found that unless I’m a good follower of Jesus, I make a terrible leader. You can take that to the bank! (it’s just an expression, you won’t really get anything in the bank if you take that).

Have a good weekend bro.

August 26, 2011

Me too – makes it personally. That’s what I like about it.

Thanks for sharing, Moe. Have a good weekend also!

August 26, 2011

Yup. Good weekend. I’ll be dancing with Hurricane Irene. Prayers appreciated. It’s actually looking like it’s really serious. NYC shut down Saturday and Sunday… and you know NYC never shuts down!

• Joseph

August 26, 2011

Definitely one of my top 3 favorite songs. I love hearing that song.

I think as men we sometimes get lazy. Yes I will say it. We get lazy. As men we are called to lead our household. Not only in one area but in all areas. And in order to do that we must allow God to lead us. Men need to step up! Quit being lazy punks.

Ok. I’ve been hard enough on us. Sometimes we need a kick in the pants. lol Good stuff Dustin.

August 26, 2011

What you said resonates with me (the inaction part). I know I need that kind of kick every once in a while… :)

• Loren Pinilis

August 26, 2011

I remember hearing about that song on the radio and was blown away by how honest he was about his marital issues.
    I think the key for me is understanding what spiritual leadership looks like. We water it down so often to simply being the one to lead meal blessings and things like that. It really is a powerful calling.

August 26, 2011

Absolutely. I’m guilty of that, for sure. Practicing it is so important!

August 26, 2011

I cannot get thru this song on the radio w/out choking up. I posted about the video on my blog, but didn’t know the story behind it. Thank you for sharing.

You’re a good man.

August 28, 2011

sure thing.. as are you!

• jenn

August 26, 2011

I have always loved this song and the message behind it. One of my favorites.

• SethC

August 26, 2011

Great song, with a great story behind it. I know for me it’s a daily battle to try to be the man I should be. Thanks for the great reminder.

August 28, 2011

you’re welcome Seth- thanks for stopping by!

August 26, 2011

Love the personal story behind the song – makes it even better :)

August 29, 2011

I don’t always lead my wife as I should. But recently, we have grown considerably as a couple and that comes directly from my willingness to submit to God and to lead her as He has called me to.

It’s tough, I second guess myself a lot, but He is good.

August 30, 2011

thanks for sharing, Alex. that speaks volumes about you!

September 2, 2011

I meant to write a comment here on Monday, but we were still at the ocean and I got distracted. :)

Just wanted to share that this song has a lot of meaning for Mike and me. Mike pretty much had a “come to Jesus” moment one day when he heard this song on the radio on the way home from work. He had heard it many times before-we have the album. But, on this specific day that he heard it, it was like God speaking straight to him about the issues alluding to in this song. A few months later, he actually got the word “Lead” tattooed on his left ring finer. Maybe for some people that’s cheesy {it actually is a little cheesy for me}, but it’s a good reminder for Mike.

We have struggled/are struggling with conflict resolution, specifically after being married for 11 years, when resentments and bitterness can take root when you don’t even recognize that it is there until it blows up in your face. And, then you’re left saying to each other, “How did we get there?!”

I love the message of this song. I wish there was a “wife’s response”. The struggle of a woman is knowing how to support her husband, how to honor him, how to sharpen him, while still allowing him to “lead”.

Thanks for sharing this, Dustin. I hope that a lot of people who hadn’t heard this song before are touched by it’s message.

September 5, 2011

Thanks for sharing. For me, honestly it wasn’t until I heard the “Behind the…” video did the song really impact me. Love the message!