The Weight of Significance

My youngest daughter laughed for the first time yesterday.

It was beautiful.

She has given us 12 weeks worth of gaseous smirks and mini-grins…

…but this was her first genuine, unprovoked giggle.

As a family, we cheered and celebrated this mini-milestone. She is growing up right before our eyes!

She is my daughter and I want to be right beside her as she landmarks these seemingly insignificant markers.

As her father, I will do whatever I can to make sure I am there with her.

As a son to a loving Father, I am certain that my life is viewed the same.

There are no insignificant moments.

Each milestone needs to be celebrated and recognized.

Not just recognized for Dustin’s sake, but celebrated for Christ’s sake. He is good and faithful, indeed!

How can this simple moment in an infant’s life point us to our Father?
What “insignificant” moment(s) in your life do you need to celebrate?

June 29, 2011

As a dad of 2, I know what it feels like to take all the little things in to memory and love it!

Something insignificant In my life is: man, just coming from work to a happy home….i know a lot of people don’t get that luxery….but I do….

June 29, 2011

That’s awesome. I love that about our Home as well.

June 29, 2011

I remember when Angelica was a baby. I once did something silly that caused her to crack up for the first time. It was a weird voice I made (no, not the joker heytell message voice). I kept that going for about an hour until she tired from so much laughing and she fell asleep. It was awesome! So much joy in a giggle of a baby.

What moments do I need to celebrate? I would say the simple, yet overlooked joy that it’s found when you make a real, honest friendship. I can sense that God rejoiced in David and Jonathan’s friendship. That was special.

June 29, 2011

Ha, that’s awesome. Pretty soon your cackling to yourself and your daughter is sound asleep. Who cares about a noise machine!

I often forget about those types of friendships as well. Well said!

• Loren Pinilis

June 29, 2011

Your post reminded of a darker time in our life.
    It’s amazing how much having kids teaches us about the love of our heavenly father. When my first child was 11 months old, he had a seizure. The paramedics came and took him to the hospital. He was all strapped up to oxygen as they took him out of the ambulance and carted him to the ER. He looked at me confused and scared, and I would’ve done anything at that moment to save him. I’ll never forget the strength of that emotion.
    By the way, allow me to skip to the happy ending. He just had low iron and needed supplementation. He’s perfectly healthy.

I can also remember the pure joy I felt watching him the first time on a playground. I begrudgingly went thinking it would be boring to watch a little toddler run around – until I saw how excited he was. Then it became fun and exciting for me. I couldn’t wait to go back.

June 29, 2011

Wow, thanks for sharing Loren. Grateful that he was okay after a scare like that. And about the playground experience, that’s so cool –especially since God flipped around your perspective. Love it.

June 29, 2011

“He looked at me confused and scared…”

Loren, I had to stop there and wait until the goosebumps went away. My friend, I couldn’t imagine having to look into the eyes of my daughters as you did with your son at that moment.

Praise God indeed that all is well!

June 29, 2011

As her father, I will do whatever I can to make sure I am there with her.

As a son to a loving Father, I am certain that my life is viewed the same.

There are no insignificant moments.
    ————————————–

Totally, 100%, absolutely positively agree! Ther are NO insignificant moments for us as natural fathers. Our kids look to us to show them God. Nicely said, D.

June 29, 2011

Thanks, Donald. Thanks for the encouragement and reminder!

June 29, 2011

Man I love those moments. Another one that got to me was when my son was finally putting words together and I got a broken “I love you daddy”. I can never hear that enough.

I thin some thing that I treasure and never want to overlook is being part of a family that loves and cares for each other. I so often look around and hear of families that never talk to their siblings and parents never talk to their kids. It breaks my heart.

June 29, 2011

Awesome. I still love ‘persuading’ my girls to say I love you. :) Usually goes like this, “Who do you love?!” They reply, “Daddy!”. Gets me every time!

One responsibility and opportunity that we have as natural fathers (as Donald mentioned) is to lead, love and care for our families. We can be intentional about that.

• Duane Scott

June 29, 2011

“This means that every decision, road-traveled, relationship, reaction, and inaction are used for His glory.”

Makes me think twice about saying that bad word when something doesn’t go my way. :)

Thanks.

-DS

PS. I read a daddy post and like it. Today is weird. Very weird.

June 29, 2011

Whoa… kinda like the twilight zone. Maybe it’s a sign. Maybe a sign that you’ll be a Daddy Blogger sooner than later? :)

June 29, 2011

Congratulations, D! These are the things that I am so excited to experience some day, and reading your words makes me both happy for you and excited for the future God has for me!

My prayer is God continues to bless you with these awesome moments. You are a great dad, and a fantastic example to guys like me :D

June 29, 2011

Man, when you get to this place in life, it’s awesome. Kids rock. I love the little ways they show me more of our Father. That is so cool.

June 29, 2011

I remember both of my babies first laugh – it’s amazing. I remember thinking – this is a miracle – only God can make a baby – I had so little to do with it :)

June 29, 2011

I hadn’t looked at it like that: a miracle. That is so true. A moment to cherish, for sure!

June 29, 2011

I know it’s probably cliche, but just the simple things. The fact that I have an amazing family, that I can sleep on a bed, that I have access to drinking water, that I can worship God freely. Really thankful for those things.

June 30, 2011

that’s awesome, jon. really, it is.

• Rob Shepherd

June 29, 2011

My twins are 13 weeks today. They have given us lots of smiles but no laughs with noise. Can’t wait. Most excellent post!

June 30, 2011

thanks Rob. enjoy every moment… it’s cliche, but your twins will grow up so fast!

• Jessica

Wow. No insignificant moments in my life in God’s eyes. #deep

• Danyen

June 29, 2011

Each and every breath I take is a testimony to the living God who breathed life into me and sustains me. I take this for granted. If I stop and meditate on it for but a few breaths I am overcome with the majesty and the glory of God.

We are currently expecting our first (8 weeks to go)! I am trying to be present in each of my wife’s pains, in each moment of anticipation for Imogen Aurora’s arrival. She is like a gift I can’t wait to unwrap. Until that day comes, I am trying to appreciate the anticipation and the excitement of the moments leading up to that day. Sometimes at night, while my wife is sleeping, I place my hand on her belly and pray for my little one.

June 30, 2011

Really cool Danyen. Those are special moments that you will remember even when your daughter is much older. I love how intentional you are with that.

• mo

June 30, 2011

I remember the first time the #babychild laughed! It was awesome!

That joy of discovery…the way a baby will keep doing something new, over and over…I think its like that when we discover some new aspect of God’s heart. I love that feeling.

June 30, 2011

>>the joy of discovery.
      Love that. thanks Mo. Any plans for #BabyChildPartDuex? :)

• Melissa Brotherton

June 30, 2011

My youngest laughed for the first time on my grandma’s birthday. I will never forget it, because she had passed away four months earlier, and she never got to see him. I felt like God was giving me a gift; laughter on a day of mourning. Now, whenever my son laughs (and he’s SUPER giggly) I am reminded of my grandma and that moment.

July 1, 2011

What a sweet memory. Thanks for sharing, Melissa.

July 1, 2011

great post, Dustin!

I love when my kids learn something new — a new word, a new skill. We had a little cupcake party when Mia learned to tie her shoes. Celebrating that she was becoming more independent seemed counterintuitive, but that her face just shone!

I need to mark the mini-milestones in my walk. I’ve got a big one on Sunday. I’m singing my first solo in church. I’m scared, but it’s not about my (lack of) talent. It’s about giving God glory through song.

July 1, 2011

i love marking down (and celebrating) milestones (albeit even small ones). looking back they will be special to remember.

and, wow – a solo at church. that is way cool. you’ll do great (and in turn, God will move people’s hearts). no doubt about it!