The Minivan vs. The Mustang

For those of you who don’t know, we are official now. We are proud owners of a silver Honda Odyssey. Straight stylin’, baby.

To help break the vehicle in the other week, my wife and I decided to take a leisurely cruise down the road.

We pulled up to a stop light. With one hand at ’12’ and the other stretched across the headrest of my wife’s seat, I turn to my left and notice a bright lime colored Ford Mustang pull up next to us.

Photo credit: Kim Trout (Creative Commons)

I chuckled to myself, thinking about how preposterous it was to drive a lime-colored Mustang, and turned to my wife…

“Who in their mind would want to drive a car like that?! He must think he’s too cool for school.”

I revved my van’s engine a little and prepped myself for a little suburban drag racingĀ (okay, maybe not–but I thought about it) in order to show him who was truly the king of the road.

But then something hit me. I turned to my wife and whispered, “Oh wait…. he is probably thinking the same about me: Who on earth would want to drive a minivan!?”

My big head was deflated right then and there. We laugh about the ‘altercation’ now, but in reality my ego and pride took a little hit that afternoon. In a lighthearted way, I judged this dude.

Believe me, I now believe that van owners are an elite posse: a company of selected individuals to usher in the next generation of productive citizens. But, in that moment, I thought I was bigger, more important, and way cooler than this guy could ever be. Thank you, Lord for the small gut check. Humility received.

When was the last time God ‘deflated your big head’?
If you could drive any vehicle in the world, what would you chose and why?

August 10, 2011

Ha! Hilarious. I’m not a fan of minivans…. in fact, I hate them. BUT…I see the need for them and the benefit. As you know, I had to rent one when I was over in GA. Why? Well, we had 7 people with us to drive to Hilton Head. Thus the need. You have a party of 5 and perhaps a 6 (if the cupcakes were good) and you need the extra seating and space.

God has also been good at showing me my poor judgment when I judge without wisdom. He’s good like that.

August 10, 2011

The cupcakes were phenomenal. ;-)

• Jay Cookingham

August 10, 2011

As the father of seven, a minivan will not do…nope, we own a 12 passenger van! I would love a 1965 Mustang (not lime green) but I’m cool with my wheels as they are.

Wow, that… is… awesome!

August 10, 2011

Had to chuckle Dustin. When my kids were growing, minivans were the thing but as they got older, I actually went to a Blazer. Ironically, I got a Montana in ’99 in order to..get this…haul my bike inside. Yeah, sort of ridiculous. Now the kids are gone and definitely no minivan. :) For me, a Mustang of any year is too small. I have to do an SUV of some size.

August 10, 2011

yeah, the space sure is nice… and i’m sure when my kids are grown they’ll groan if we still have a van. :)

• Loren Pinilis

August 10, 2011

I drove a van in high school. It was great. I was pretty much the official bus driver for my circle of friends. Vans take on a very different atmosphere with loud music blaring and a stupid teenager behind the wheel making turns way too fast. My favorite thing was parking. I never had to remember where I parked. Just walk outside and you could spot it in a lot immediately.

August 10, 2011

awesome! i didn’t drive it full time, but i drove my parents van in high school as well: the old school one with the wood paneling on the side. we called it myrtle. :)

August 10, 2011

LOL! We drive Trucks down here in Texas…or SUV’s…anytime we see one of these “smart cars”…we always make fun of it and want to pick it up and throw it in the back of our trucks! LOL….

of course, they are probably looking at us cause we are killing the air they are breathing!

BUT… a lime green mustang…i would be tempted to drive.

My Car of Choice…NO Question…The Back to the Future Delorian! Wooooo Hooooo!!!!!!!

Haha! That’s awesome.
    I’m one of those losers who rides the bus to work. I don’t even really own a car because my wife drives an SUV (downright refuses to EVER drive a van) and I get her old car from college w/ 275,000+ miles on it that isn’t even registered in my name.

Honestly though I’d prefer a van to any car colored lime green.

August 10, 2011

I wish I could ride the bus to work sometimes… get more stuff done, take a quick nap, tweet… :)

August 10, 2011

lol. Awesome. My wife says no way to mini-vans.

Biggest humility lesson for me is when we lost our vehicle back in 2007 due to stupid choices, which has then caused me to ride a bike everywhere.

People like to laugh at a grown man on a girls bike in a backpack.

August 10, 2011

yeah, i’d actually be a little concerned seeing that as well :)

August 10, 2011

I work with college students. I get my big head deflated all the time. Spend some time with them, they will let you see the areas you need to grow.

And I have to agree with KC – I would rather drive a minivan than a lime-green colored anything. Course, for about a year and a half, I drove a big ol’ Ford Conversion Van. It was free (given to me) and in much better shape than my 84 Olds. Still, I didn’t like driving it. I see myself more as a future SUV driver than a future Mini-van driver.

August 10, 2011

… and I literally have a big head. always had to get the ginormous fitted hats when playing little league growing up. hilarious and sad.

i bet your ’84 Olds is a smooth ride — so comfortable, right?

August 10, 2011

Yikes, Dustin! That’s a strike right at the heart.

How awesome is the Holy Spirit to call us out like that. haha

August 10, 2011

…even in a ‘silly’ situation. you’re right, alex! :)

• Marlee

LOL!

I’ve always promised myself I’d never drive a minivan. I might be asking for it!

• Wayne

August 10, 2011

I can relate to this from both sides. We have an Expedition that my wife drives and I drive a Mustang GT. There are pro’s and cons to both, but I can say it’s more fun driving the Mustang vs Expedition. To each their own!

August 10, 2011

i’ll admit, i think i’d personally rather drive a mustang gt as well … :)

August 10, 2011

Love this – always wanted and could never afford a minivan! Now I just want a car that sits me up a little higher to see better :) God constantly has to “bring me down a peg” and as long as it’s God Himself and not others – I’m fine with that :)

August 10, 2011

me too! thanks for sharing, cindy!

• Joseph

August 10, 2011

Not a fan of mini-vans. If I could drive any car it would be some type of Ferrari. I don’t know why. It just seems like a good choice.

God humbles me often. Most of the time it’s little things. The list would probably be very long.

August 10, 2011

naturally that’s a good choice. naturally. :)

• Duane Scott

Ha!

That was pry me in the green mustang.

I wouldn’t be caught dead in an Odyssey.

No offense.

I’m just not out populating the earth to the point of needing a van.

August 10, 2011

No offense taken. DS, I can see you in a green mustang. Cruisin’ like always. :)

• Michelle

August 10, 2011

Truthfully, I hate cars. I’d much rather drive something like a van or an SUV. Our van is on the fritz. We are thinking of getting a Honda Pilot, but not sure yet. Right now I have a Saturn and that thing sucks. I mean, I’m greatful that it gets me to point A and B, but the van door doesn’t shut properly, the handle on the passenger side has fallen off, and generally…its not well made. Hopefully when I get to heaven, we can just fly around or something. I hate that cars break and that they lose their value once they are off the lot. Glad you are enjoying the new wheels. We all need a gut check once in a while, don’t we?

August 11, 2011

certainly need gut checks! :)

you know, ive heard pilots are nice!

August 11, 2011

Sometimes, I can’t understand how people can watch certain shows, but then I realize I shouldn’t be talking at all lol. :)

But seriously, lime green???

• floyd

August 12, 2011

Linked over from Cindy’s site. Great post! The blow of humility can really knock the wind out of us for sometime. We have a really old beater SUV that I drive for hauling things. I find it interesting the way people judge others by the vehicle that we drive. I have to confess, at first when I realized what was happening, I was uncomfortable. Then God spoke to my ego filled heart and made me think about the reality of things.

What He supplies in the way of protection and provision are to be appreciated as the gifts they are. When those gifts become too much in our eyes, they become idols. Nice job! Cindy was right.

August 12, 2011

Floyd,
      Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate the comment! I like what you said about idolizing those gifts when we make them about us (not Him). Thanks!