The Life of George Mueller

A few months ago, I read about the life of George Mueller. He was best known for his orphan ministry–one that cared for over 10,000 in his lifetime. He never asked anyone directly for money. He was a lifelong servant.

As I read through the biography of his life, two things stuck out: He served God and He trusted God.

In fact, the biography actually summed up his life in one sentence:

[The] chief passion and unifying aim of Mueller’s ministry: live a life and lead a ministry in a way that proves God is real, God is trustworthy, God answers prayer.

Wow.

Photo credit: Eliseo Marcato (Creative Commons)

Can my life’s mission statement be pruned into a sentence so powerful as that?

When my biography is written, what sentence will sum up my life?

I know that as I reflect on those questions, I want my answer to be saturated with things that matter (my faith in God, my family, the way I treat others) rather than things that are fleeting and temporary.

It’s biography time!
Sum up your life in five words. Go!

August 24, 2011

“Loved God. Made a Difference.” Another would be “Followed God’s heart.”

August 24, 2011

Made a difference… like that!

• Ryan

August 24, 2011

“Slowly growing relationship with God.”

My life has ups and downs but I’m constantly getting reminders from God to focus on him. Got a long way to go to have the dedication of George but I enjoy the journey.

I recently read about Mueller in the book Radical. I was equally impressed. The story I was about how he started his orphanage on complete faith. No investors, no 5-year plan, just faith. That’s impressive.

August 24, 2011

Yeah, that’s what caught my eye as well. Pretty neat seeing how he lived out his faith.

• Jon Stolpe

August 24, 2011

God-centered. All else is gravy.

This is what comes to mind initially. I have so many passions and interests. I want to be known for my integrity, for my humor, for my intelligence, and for so many other things. But more than anything, I want to be known for a life that is God-centered.

Thanks for making me think.

Gravy… nice! :)

I think you nailed it, Jon – those passions are great, but ultimately they should center on Christ.

• John

August 24, 2011

A life covered with grace.

God has over and over again shown me how much he loves me no matter how much I have messed up. And this in turn has helped me to love others despite their imperfections.

August 24, 2011

thanks for sharing, John. that is something I want to remember all the time as well.

August 24, 2011

My life can be summed up in: “”I know who I am! I’m a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude”

Kidding.

My life would be summed up in: “New Moe > old Moe”

Brilliant.

You are a new Moe 100%. The old has gone, the new has come!

• Marlee

Proof that God is real.

Cool call to action here, Dustin. It really got me thinking, and I felt like all I could say is that my life would be anything that it is today without the power of God in my life. Hence my five words.

God has been answering prayers, showing me wisdom, and proving that I can trust Him so much these days – I’m simply amazed.

Hope you and your family are great!

August 24, 2011

Thanks, Marlee – we’re doing well right now. My oldest had her first ballet class today… eager to hear how it went! :)

I appreciate you sharing — that’s cool to see that you’ve seen Him actively working in your life.

• Loren Pinilis

August 24, 2011

Mueller was an amazing man.
    I know from what little I’ve read about him that he had a very active devotional and prayer life. Hours everyday he spent praying. It was quite convicting.

August 24, 2011

Yeah, even in that biography it had a few sentences on the amount he preached as well — a ton!

August 24, 2011

“Igniting a passion for Christ”

Did you think I would have anything other than Ignite in my sentence? lol

August 24, 2011

Nope, I would expect nothing less! :)

• Joseph

August 24, 2011

Trusted God. Encouraged and Loved.

• arny

August 24, 2011

Arny: Created to serve and worship.

August 24, 2011

Loves Christ family friends passionately.

August 24, 2011

Sums it up right there, Jim. It’s not about us!

• Ron Rodan

August 24, 2011

Very familiar with George Muller. I just got done reading “Robber of the Cruel Streets” by Clive Langmead. I think there is a movie too, but I have not watched it.

Not really sure what you are pushing for in your blog? Simplicity, brevity, and popularity seem to be the flavor of the day in Christian blogs; but I feel you would do well to go deeper. Sure, you might lose some of your shallow readers but this is not necessarily a bad thing. Just something to consider, or not.

August 24, 2011

Seven 5-star amazon reviews… might need to check out the bok. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for the blog feedback, Ron.

August 24, 2011

Love these kind of posts man! Makes you think.

“A work in progress”

Ok, I know it’s 4 words, but that’s what came to mind. :)

August 24, 2011

A work in progress, indeed!

(There you go… 5 words :))

• Steven Gibbs

August 24, 2011

Asked for nothing, prayed for anything, received everything. I had a mentor give me prayer principles from Mueller and they are still with me today. Incredible example for all of us.

August 25, 2011

>>> “Asked for nothing, prayed for anything, received everything.”

Loved that. Thanks for sharing!

• T.C.

August 24, 2011

“Taught a little, but learned a lot”.

No matter how much we feel we can impart to others, there will always be room to learn more ourselves.

(That was quite good if I say so myself, think there’s a blogpost in there somewhere!)

August 25, 2011

Absolutely. We need to be learners… humble and teachable!

• Duane Scott

Wow.

I want that to be my life’s desire also.

Such a beautiful ministry.

Thanks for sharing!

August 25, 2011

Indeed. Thanks DS. You’re welcome!

• chris vonada

August 24, 2011

I LOVE Mueller’s book and story… a TRUE walk of faith!!

August 24, 2011

Powerful stuff. I’ve thought about the concept of a “Life Sentence” before. I hope what is written someday about my story is worth reading.

Great thoughts.

August 25, 2011

Makes you think, huh? Thanks, KC.

Dang, 5 words? Ok hmm…

“I walk because of Him”

• jenn

August 24, 2011

Jenn – Couldn’t write just five words.

Ha! I’m kidding… sort of. Wow. I don’t know. All the good ones are already taken. Something about God’s grace maybe, because I do require it so often. I’m not sure what though… I’m not very good at catchy little sentences. I’ll have to get back to you on that.

Great post. And I enjoyed everyone else’s mini-biography.

August 25, 2011

thanks, Jenn – love your “five words”. :)

• Jonathan Pearson

August 25, 2011

Love people. Communicate the Gospel. Praying my life does that.

August 25, 2011

Excellent. It’s not about us!

August 25, 2011

Damaged Perfection on a journey

August 25, 2011

thanks for sharing, cindy!

August 25, 2011

Loving God. Loving people. Food.

August 29, 2011

A reminder that God is good and He is a rewarder of those who seek him.

Thank you for this, Dustin. Your words always hit close to home.

August 30, 2011

A great reminder. He is our provider and sustainer!