The Controlling Principle to Discipleship

As part of my men’s group this past month, we read one of my favorite books: Robert Coleman’s The Master Plan of Evangelism. While I have read the book multiple times over the last ten years, I seem to glean something new every time I read this book. I would like to share one quote in particular that resonated with me this time:

“If we have learned even the most elemental truth of discipleship, we must know hat we are called to be servants of our Lord and to obey His word.” (Robert Coleman, The Master Plan of Evangelism)

In short, complete obedience to God’s will is the controlling principle to discipleship.

Photo credit: Rebecca Krebs (Creative Commons)

Throughout my life, God will bring people into my life to pour into–friends, neighbors, coworkers. But, as a husband and father, my family is my first calling. My wife and children need me to intentionally lead them in their walks in passionately pursuing Christ as their personal Savior.

How can I expect to lead and disciple them if my heart isn’t completely yielded to God? This small example challenged and reminded me of a two things:

1. The leadership I provide to my family stems from my relationship with Christ. Jesus showed His followers all they needed to know by simply being with them.  I’ll find everything I need to know in God’s presence.
2. Obedience to God’s will is more than blind trust. It is active and intentional. It is a daily surrender and acknowledges “Not my will by yours.”

Be encouraged today as you lead your wife, your family, and those God has placed in your life. Look to Jesus’ example and press on.

Who do you need to lead today?

• Loren Pinilis

August 29, 2011

I think the key for me was realizing that anything and everything I did that was positive only happened as a result of Christ working through me and in me. So it makes sense that that relationship had to be the most important thing in the world to me.

August 29, 2011

absolutely. thanks for sharing loren – i feel like i’m learning that every day…

• chris vonada

Dustin,

great post, I do need Jesus as the example for sure and believe I also need to continually strive to be in a growing relationship with him. My circle, small group. or “tribe” is also vital.

btw, every time I see your twitter picture it cracks me up !!

Chris

• arny

Yes! Well put Dustin.

I struggle with this very thing. I want to lead but how can i lead them if my heart is not right?…

It’s when i’m driving home and I seek His face that things between us are at peace…

then I can lead.

August 29, 2011

as always, thanks for sharing arny. i know the feeling…

August 29, 2011

You said something very important. “Jesus showed his disciples all they needed to know by simply being with them” That’s where is at. This single “Jesus loves you” sentence evangelism is not effective. You have to do life with people. But as you stated, we have to first do life with him. So deeeeeeep!

As to who do I need to lead. My family. My wife has a “simpler” faith than me. I like to go deep and sometimes her perspective is so much different than mine. Then, I often find that when I am challenged by some of life’s curveballs, her “simple” faith has led her through those moments much better than me and my “deep” perspective. I make faith too hard sometimes. A lesson in truth. Thank you!

August 29, 2011

Do life. Yes, absolutely! That’s what Jesus did… why not do it ourselves?

Thanks for sharing, Moe!

August 29, 2011

So good. Hitting people over the head with bibles doens’t work. But doing life with them does. It gives them an example.

August 29, 2011

yup, agreed! and how many times do we walk by people “like that” and feel ashamed? (i know i feel that way at times)

August 29, 2011

This is great, Dustin. I think about this every time I’m around children and when I’m teaching music lessons. My life and how I respond says so much more than the things I say.

August 29, 2011

lead by example. love it. thanks cindy!

• Ally Garner

August 29, 2011

Oh goodness, I love that quote. I’m sorry to say I’ve yet to read Coleman’s Master Plan Of Evangelism. My husband Jeff has thankfully, and has urged me to read it as well. I need to get about doing that. Such a great post! In case you gentlemen haven’t heard this from us Ladies lately, thank you for living lives joyfully following Christ and leading your wives by example – even when it’s so hard to do so.

I need to go tell my husband that too, pronto. I don’t tell him that enough. Thanks Dustin!

August 30, 2011

Yeah and that’s the convicting part – I don’t do it all the time. I need to.

You should check out Master Plan…. It’s short and sweet. Full of great truths.

• Rob Shepherd

August 29, 2011

I need to lead my family, and church. Thanks for this post.

I am encouraged!

God is really revealing this to me more and more every day. I am so grateful for his continual grace in my life. I haven’t been the best husband (can you believe I don’t have it figured out after 5 months? :P) but I am continuing to trust Him and to love her.

And as you said, there is nothing blind about it: God is real, His words are true, and my trust and commitment to Him will never return void.

August 30, 2011

Absolutely! Has it been 5 months already? That is nuts! Congrats, Alex! :)

• Tom

August 29, 2011

Awesome, active and intentional actions of obedience to His will.
    Thanks!

August 30, 2011

cool… thanks for sharing, tom!

August 29, 2011

Myself first. Then my wife and kids. And then the people that seek me out for guidance/advice. And then to others. We can be leading people continually–even if it just a little bit.

August 30, 2011

…even just a little bit. Love that, Matt. Thanks!

• jbussell

August 30, 2011

My wife and I were just talking about something similar the other day. I have felt, on a few occasions, led to help in our H.S. ministry. This past spring I had a discussion with the H.S. pastor about teach this fall. I decided, however, at this point in time I need to be spending more time pouring into my own son and spending time leading him. Great post!

August 30, 2011

Thanks for sharing Jeremy. That is challenging – b/c as as a father, I don’t want to ever come to te point where I hear my children say, “Daddy lead other people, but never lead me.”

• Luther Wesley

August 30, 2011

We are all to disciple those around us and it should, for those of us with families, start at home.

We cannot disciple others if 1. We are are not in the faith ourselves or 2. we are ignorant.

We must be willing to be discipled if we wish to disciple others

August 30, 2011

yes! thanks for the comment, luther — spot on.

• rachelle

August 31, 2011

This is so good!

I was just talking to a good friend of mine about this topic. She’s from Iran, and identifies herself as Muslim. She asks really good questions about having a relationship with God and it’s exciting to have these conversations with her. I think I should read this book to further some of our conversations.

August 31, 2011

oh definitely! i wholeheartedly recommend (and it’s fairly short)!