holdbabyhand

Taking Comfort In Your Smallness

I know that my kids are small. My oldest daughter is what–maybe 3 feet and change? Do they know how tall I am? No, they just know that Daddy is “BIG”! Daddy runs faster, jumps higher, and flat out knows more things than they do. Not only are my girls physically petite, but they also have a limited viewpoint on life. They are in the here and now. Unlike their father, they can’t see/understand the whole picture! And guess what? They are okay with that.

In the same way, there is comfort in my smallness compared to the biggness of God. Yes, Jesus encourages us to not worry (Matthew 6:25-27) about provision. And yes, God tells us that He knows the plans laid out for us (Jeremiah 29:11). But, on top of those things, there is a peaceful calm in knowing that God is big and we are small. Those things (worrying about provision, future plans, etc.) can only be surrendered when we submit to the greatness of our Father. Acknowledging that truth guides us to a place of reverance… and stillness.

God is bigger than my needs. God is bigger than my professional career. God is bigger than my family. God is bigger than the biggest thing that I could think of. I’m thankful for that today.

Fill in the blank: “Today, I’m thankful that God is bigger than _______.”

Note: Post was inspired by Trevin Wax
Photo credit: bengston

my fears.

January 19, 2011

so true. or what if we flipped it? am I letting my fear(s) be bigger than my God?

• Jason

…the boogeyman.

(Sorry, couldn’t resist.) :)

January 19, 2011

Who doesn’t love Veggie Tales? :)

January 19, 2011

Co-sign Michael, my fears.

Have you ever seen a child concerned about paying bills? That would be weird. I wonder if that is how God sees our circumstances.

January 19, 2011

interesting way to through that out. def something to think about!

January 19, 2011

My mind went to the boogeyman but it was taken.

I would say ……than any struggle and/or I have ever had.

Good encouragement!

January 19, 2011

definitely my fears, even when I don’t always see it or believe it.

January 19, 2011

Unseen fears, fear of the unknown can be crippling for sure. thanks for stopping by, jason!

January 19, 2011

…and fear of failure. That’s my big one.

January 19, 2011

jason, be encouraged-i am right there with you.

January 19, 2011

I love the idea of smallness.
    My little girl is also “3 feet and change” and will take comfort in daddy’s “bigness” when she’s scared, hurt or just because.

When I wrap my arms around her I sometimes think it’s a glimpse into how God feels about us when we run to him.

“Today, I’m thankful that God is bigger than my debt.”

January 19, 2011

Thanks for that insight, and the excellent picture of what the welcoming arms of God look like.

January 19, 2011

My sin and my past (and it is huge).

January 19, 2011

thanks Bill, I’m thankful that God is bigger than my past as well.

• Kyle Reed

Today I am thankful God is bigger then me

January 19, 2011

I’m with you- sometimes I pump myself up sometimes and make it about me. Its a refreshing reminder sometimes that “as big as I’ll get”, God is bigger.

my imagination.

he’s not limited to how big I can make him. he’s bigger than the box I wanted to put him in for so long.

January 19, 2011

Yes! And to think…His creativity is infinitely greater than anything we could imagine.

• V.V. Denman

January 19, 2011

Today, I am thankful that God is bigger than my peon worries and that He believes in little old me.

January 19, 2011

so true. although He is BIG, he does believe in YOU!

• Cindy G

January 20, 2011

…my circumstances.
    …my worry.
    …my past.
    …my tomorrow.

• Randy Kinnick

January 20, 2011

…my past and the baggage that sometimes gets in my way.

Thanks for this post, Dustin. I needed to read this today.

As the father of that little girl who has all grown up now (about to turn 22), it is so neat to see them move from simple faith of a child to the bold faith of an adult. That is the greatest blessing a father can hope for.

January 20, 2011

You’re welcome. And, that is awesome about your “little girl”. What an awesome thing to see in your children!

January 20, 2011

My sin.

Yes, I’ve done some bad stuff. God still shows me that he’s bigger than that. And that he’s faithful to forgive… and cleanse those wicked sins.

January 20, 2011

Moe, absolutely. Thankful that no matter how big they are, He is much much bigger.

January 20, 2011

My vain ambitions.

Replacing them with Him is what my heart says is necessary. “Seek ye first the kingdom of God…..”

January 20, 2011

control is so hard to give up sometimes, and i feel that when we submit our ambitions to God, that is what we’re saying, “Your kingdom, not mine.” Thanks for stopping by!

• ChadJ (randomlychad)

January 20, 2011

My…

Fears
    Doubts
    Understanding
    Circumstances
    Posturing
    Faith

January 25, 2011

Thanks, Chad for sharing that. I appreciate you stopping by!