Spilled Coffee and Personal Tendencies

I’ve said it before on this blog: I’m clumsy.

So clumsy, in fact, that two minutes ago I nearly spilled my coffee all over my work desk… again.

Instead of spilling the entire cup, only a small amount tipped over and I was able to soak it up with some napkins right away.

Crisis averted.

Seriously: major crisis averted.

My usual setup.

If coffee would have gotten into my laptop/keyboard/mouse here at work I would be straight-outta-luck.

I would have to sheepishly walk over to our IT guy here in the office and tell him the story.
I would have had to email my boss and tell him why I couldn’t work today.
I would have had to alter my routine and resign to having a “non-productive” day.

All what ifs…

Knowing my personal tendencies, I know I need to stop keeping my coffee mug so close to my hardware and in the middle of my accessories here on my desk. I have to be intentional about separating the two.

The same goes for my personal life and tendencies. The Bible says to “But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.” (1 Tim 6:11)

Paul is pretty intentional about saying what to pursue. Run from the bad; Pursue the good. Opposite directions; Focused behavior.

Joseph did it.
Jesus talked about it.
Zacchaeus demonstated it.

If that means fleeing from youthful lusts, so be it. If that means running away from greed/love of money, that’s what I need to do. If that means intentionally putting myself in a position to be considerate and patient, that is what I need to do.

What are your “tendencies”?
What is the worst thing you’ve ever spilled all over yourself?

July 8, 2011

Coffee for sure. I do that all the time.

July 8, 2011

Yeah, lets just say this wasn’t my first time either…

• Ryan Tate

July 8, 2011

Yes, I spill my coffee daily. I can barely walk back to my desk without sloshing it all over my hands.

Great post Dustin. I think we all could name a specific achilles heel that could bring us down if we don’t guard ourselves properly.

Sloshing… that’s hilarious.

Guarding ourselves is huge. Thanks, Ryan.

• ha, ha, ha. I thought I was reading my own post. I stopped counting the coffee spills or any liquid for that matter that I made in my life. There’s even a few when I have to wipe the surrounding coffee machine and the floor cause for some reason I double click the brew button. How that happen? got no clue. Sometimes there’s just so much in our minds, right? great post that most of us can relate.

July 8, 2011

:) Thanks for the commend, Barnard.

• Loren Pinilis

July 8, 2011

Just as important as fleeing is knowing what to flee from – knowing our tendencies to spill coffee. A wise sage (GI Joe Cartoon) once said “knowing is half the battle.”
    To be honest, I know one of my tendencies as a male is for wandering eyes. So I have to be very wary when on the internet, particularly on sites like youtube where bikini babe thumbnails are so prevalent.

July 8, 2011

True Story: I loved GI Joes growing up. Duke all the way!

I understand your thoughts Loren, and can relate. Thanks for sharing.

Wow, that’s really good.

One of my tendancies is to let trash build up. I know I should just find a place for it and put it away, but I leave it in piles anyway. Even my desktop is cluttered.

When I clean it all up I work better, get more done, and feel more at ease about life. And yet I leave it cluttered.

It’s time to be intentional.

Time to do it.

Start today? :)

July 8, 2011

One of tendencies is putting things to the last minute aka procrastination. Argh. I’ve gotten better, but there still much room for improvement.

I would have to say coffee…it happens all the time.

O and welcome back bro :)

July 8, 2011

Coffee seems to be the norm around here.

Thanks Jon, glad to be “back”!

• John

July 8, 2011

Dude I am constantly spilling stuff on me. It’s a running joke at my house. Any time I eat Mexican food I will walk away with grease stains on my pants. The worst thing is when I do it while at a restaurant with other people. Embarassing.

I tend to drift towards apathy and laziness. I think it’s because I pour myself into a project or ministry for a while and then burn out to the point where I don’t wanna do any of it anymore. I need to run from that and instead pursue faithfulness and constant passion.

Have a good weekend Dustin.

July 8, 2011

LOL, that’s hilarious. Don’t get me started on spaghetti. :) Pursue faithfulness… I like the way you put that. I think we tend to think that faithfulness just “happens” and it’s not something we actually need to pursue….

Have a good weekend yourself, John.

What a good post.

I tend to not be clumsy but when I am it is major – like broken thing or ruined things. The worst thing I ever spilled on myself was —urine. My grandparent had no running water so you had a pee bucket in the bedroom so you did not have to take the long walk in the dark to the outhouse. It had to be emptied in the morning if you used it – I used it – I carried it – I tripped – I had urine spilled all over me.

July 8, 2011

At least it was #1 and not #2, right? :)

Hilarious, Jim!

July 8, 2011

worst thing spilled was when Gavin was alive and we had to empty his gastric bags. the darned thing broke.. all over my shirt shorts, hands… ugh so so so gross… and dont you know that kid started laughing at me. He thought it was hysterical :)

i tend to be sometimes to passive… when i really should take more action and step up to things and not just let things pass by because im afraid of the out come.

July 11, 2011

LOL. I would be laughing too. :)

• jenn

July 8, 2011

I’m pretty clumsy myself. Last semester I was headed to class and I had made myself an iced coffee. I didn’t have a straw, so you can imagine what happened when I tried to drink it while driving. I spilled it all down the front of my shirt. The bad thing was, I had to give a presentation in class that day. Yep, clumsy and looking kind of silly. :)

My pastor used to talk about how the devil doestn’t really have any new tricks. (Yes, the world is different than it used to be, but it’s still the same old temptations, maybe in different form.) He doesn’t need any new tricks because we will fall for the same things over and over. Obviously each person struggles with different sins, but since we know our own tendencies, we should be intentional about staying away from these things. Great post Dustin.

July 11, 2011

Absolutely! –> “Be intentional.” Period. Even though I say it a lot, I need to tell myself that more often.

July 8, 2011

Well I spill stuff all over myself ALL THE TIME. Just ask my husband – he calls it “spilling on my shelf” haha – very funny. My tendancies – Hmmmm. Let’s see – I think to try to see the positive in a situation instead of always the negative. Yes – I’m a “glass half full” person. I admit it. However – it has gotten me into trouble because I’m too trusting – and others have taken advantage of this over the years – yet – I still tend to trust.

July 11, 2011

Thanks for sharing, Cindy.

July 8, 2011

I almost never spill my drink….i love them to much…I’m always thirsty…lol…

I have a wholelotta tendencies….some good, some not so good…

good: i have a tendency of always coming up with songs and lyrics at the worst possible moments…when I’m with my wife…and she loves her attention…lol

Bad: I have a tendency to not trust God to provide, so i take matters into my own hands and the gult kills me…literly stabs me to death….

nice post Justin…oh…i mean Dustin!

July 11, 2011

:) you love your drinks too much. Nice!

• Keri @ Pop Parables

July 8, 2011

Are you partial to the mug? Because you could get a spill proof tumbler. They actually make tumblers now that are very mug like. Just sayin’, because I happen to live with someone who is the definition of clumsy. :) Hmmm, what’s weird is that I think my tendencies have changed a little over time. Now that I have kids, I just don’t have time for a lot of the things that used to get in the way-gossip, overspending, impure thoughts. Now, it’s things like procastination and lack of balance-they’re actually one in the same & highly relative to perfectionism. Thanks for being real, Dustin.

July 11, 2011

Spill proof tumbler… Hmm, I might need to invest in one of those deals.

Lack of balance? I think that is me too – I tend to overinvest myself in things and sometimes half-heartedly put myself into it…

• Burl

July 8, 2011

Typing with my Mountain Dew can next to the keyboard, I had to laugh at the picture in your post. So far, I haven’t damaged any hardware with a drink! Wish me luck! As for the funniest thing I have ever spilled on myself…it is more gross than funny, the contents of someone else’s spit cup. (a snuff user on the school bus I was riding in HS.)

“If it means….”

I hadn’t really considered it that way.

If it means…

I’m there.

July 10, 2011

D,

I would tell you my ‘worst thing ever spilled on me’ story, but this is a mixed-company blog, and some things are better left unsaid.

July 11, 2011

No worries. We’ll take that off-line. :)

July 8, 2011

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve narrowly missed damaging $$ worth of hardware.

Great post and analogy. Hope you enjoy the weekend.

July 11, 2011

Thanks bud. Hope yours was good as well.

• kd sullivan

July 8, 2011

What a great analogy. It truly provide an aha! moment.

July 8, 2011

My mom once spilled a large bowl of extremely hot chili all over my back. I’ve never seen her move so fast in getting my shirt and the chili off of me.

July 11, 2011

I don’t know what’s funnier: the fact that it was scalding hot chili, or that your mom was trying to undress you. :)

• moe

July 11, 2011

I once dropped hot coffee in my crotch. Yeah, that was embarrassing. I was at the office and had to walk around with dry coffee in my crotch which looked like dry urine. :/

July 11, 2011

I’m actually not that surprised…. :)

I actually have a “peed my pants” story (real life, actually happened) that maybe I’ll share someday. :)

• David Miles

July 11, 2011

My tendency is not to eat breakfast in the morning and it came back to bite me yesterday as I was preaching. I nearly fainted…but I’ll blog about that later today.

July 11, 2011

LOL…. well, you’re taking to the wrong person. I tend to not eat breakfast nearly every morning. ;-)

July 11, 2011

So are you saying coffee is a youthful lust and we must flee from it? If so, I am going to have to strongly disagree. I may even have to stop following you on Twitter and unsubscribe from your blog.

It’s that serious.

• DP

July 11, 2011

Great post. My worst was ham juice… going to a party at a friends house, I was carrying in a dish of ham with juice inside… didn’t realize it was leaking down the front of my pants until I felt it… I then went to a nearby Walmart to buy a pair of pants for the evening. You get funny looks when you walk around a store looking as if you emptied a full bladder into your pants. I think I might be on the people of Walmart site.

July 11, 2011

>>> I think I might be on the people of Walmart site.

CLASSIC!