Revealed: Contest Results!
On Monday, I posed the challenge of guessing which three random facts were indeed true about my my life. My purpose in doing so was to lightheartedly give everyone a glimpse into the randomness of what I like to call “My Life”. Three months ago, I wrote a letter. But this week, I wanted to be even more random.
So, without further adieu, the winners of said “7 Truths/3 Lies” contest are…. Matthew, Michael, John, Donald, Duane, Michelle, Kevin, Jennifer, and David. That’s right fine folks, we have a 9-way tie! While no one was able to guess all three correct “truths”, these ladies and gents guessed 2 of 3. Virtual Fist Bumps (or #KnucklePunches as my daughters would say) all around!
Here is my commentary and explanations:
1. I am so clumsy. I have broken the same toe on my right foot every year for the last 4 years.
False: I’ve never broken a bone in my body. I have, however, stubbed my right foot’s big toe every year for the last four years playing New Years Day flag football due to wearing cleats one size too small. So, yes: every year for the last four years my big toenail has gotten black, fallen off, and re-grown back. It is nasty every single time. (Note: I purchased new cleats a couple months back per my wife’s ultimatum).
2. While in Amsterdam, I was chased by Red Light District police officers at 2 o’clock in the morning.
True: While in college I spent three of my spring breaks on missions in Amsterdam. It was great. One year (2003, I believe), me and a couple folks got chased by a couple Dutch Po-Pos late in the evening. Apparently, video camera recording is frowned upon in that part of town.
3. The band I started in high school, Prehistoric Vader and the Phenomenon, sold 103 albums over the course of 8 glorious months.
False: That would have been a sweet name for a band, right? The closest I got to being a rockstar was performing Oasis’ Wonderwall at a youth center in Amsterdam during one of our trips. I can’t count leading worship as I’ve never worn skinny jeans and a fedora.
4. My great-grandfather was a silent-film movie star from Las Cruces, New Mexico.
True: I remember finding this out at one of our family reunions. Along with being an Assemblies of God minister, he was a bona fide movie star. In other words, I’m practically royalty in the eyes of The Academy.
5. I wasn’t the most popular “Dustin” at my elementary school. That title belonged to none other than Dustin Diamond.
True: That’s right, folks–Screech himself went to Zion Lutheran school in Anaheim, CA. I even have a few yearbooks laying around somewhere in my parent’s attic with his goofy picture in it.
6. I am childhood acquaintances with Jessica Alba. In fact, we “went out” as third graders.
False: I did grow up in California, but I didn’t see or interact with many celebrities. Unless you count the time I met MacGyver (RDA, himself) at a Kings’ game. See, I told you I was royalty.
7. I can recite every single lyric by heart from the Foo Fighters’ iconic sophomore album “The Colour and the Shape”.
False: I wish this were true. This album is Top 3 of all time for me. I remember when it was released at the end of my Freshman year in high school. Loved it then, love it now.
8. Three years ago, my brother and I flew out to New York as part of a final casting decision for The Amazing Race. Sadly, we didn’t make the final cut.
False: Every year I say to myself that my brother and I should fill out an application. I swear we would not only do really well, but I think we would also appeal to the casting directors (opposites, goofy, etc.).
9. I gained notoriety in college for being the guy who wore a bathrobe to class (yes, I was “The Bathrobe Guy”).
False: Sadly, no. We did have a “Bathrobe Guy” in college, though. He was in my Real Estate class. I found his wardrobe fascinating.
10. My second car was a old, restored ice cream truck. Regretfully, I could never get the music to play on the sound system.
False: Now this would have been awesome, but I’m actually still on my second car right now. Had a ’91 Jeep Cherokee in high school, and have a ’01 Jeep Cherokee right now. My next car will be a minivan. Fail.
There you have it folks — a little glimpse into my life. How about you? Care to do a 7 Truths / 3 Lies yourself? Let me know and link up if you do. I love some randomness!