Reflections Before the Hike

Photo credit: Tom Kulbowski (Creative Commons)

In two days, I will be trekking up to the top of Mt. Toubkal (pictured above). It is the highest peak in the Atlas Mountains, which stretch across three countries in North Africa. Specifically, it’s located in Morocco — which is where I’ll be for a few days. Through a unique opportunity with my work, colleagues around the globe were selected to participate in a trekking adventure to promote a shared purpose and foster team-building. Cool!

On top of that, I plan on personally taking in this experience to soak in the beauty of God’s creation–in a place I will probably never visit again.

Three things that are top-of-mind for me right now…

1. Take risks. I have never hiked/trekked anywhere before. In fact, I’m borrowing all of my brother’s gear, who does these types of things all the time. How does this relate to blogging? Write a post you wouldn’t think you’d normally write. Step out of your box by being vulnerable. In doing so, you’ll encounter both encouragement and criticism–both are needed for growth. Don’t be unique just to be unique–but bring a willingness to leverage popularity, acceptance, and comfort for the sake of the Gospel.

2. Real-time community. It will be neat to see the real-time collaboration happening. During the work-week, we’re spread out over the globe. For 5 days, we’ll be in one location! How does this relate to blogging? Go to a tweet-up and meet up with a local blogger. Spend time with your family. Use social media to enhance community within the local church.

3. Endure. To be honest, I haven’t prepared as much as I should have for this hike. Granted, I’m not trekking Everest. But it will be taxing and I will need to pace myself. How does this relate to blogging? Writing is a practice, which needs to be cultivated. It is a unique privilege we have to share our story and learn from others. Write consistently! Develop of plan and stick to it.  Map out a schedule to avoid burnout.

Due to the “remote-ness”, I will be forced to disconnect to a degree (good thing!). If you think about it, say a prayer for me this week. :)

In my absence, I have three fantastic guest-posts lined up for you on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. Be nice and show them some love!

Describe a “unique adventure” that you would love to do one day.

September 5, 2011

I have one trip that I would love to take with my wife-take a cruise or simply just visit Alaska. Australia would be okay also. but the real “adventure” I have wanted to take but simply could not pull it off was to ride cross country on my bicycle. I wanted to do it with a couple of close friends with my wife driving a motor home since i don’t do well sleeping on the ground. That would be my unique adventure. As for you: have a super time with this opportunity.

September 5, 2011

Cycling across the US would be an adventure for sure! I’ve heard of folks do that in support of organizations like Charity:Water.

• Jon Stolpe

September 5, 2011

Have a great trip! I’m somewhat jealous. It’s awesome that you work for a company that is willing to try these kinds of ideas.

For me, I think I’d like to either hike the Appalachian Trail or bike across the country. I think these would be pretty awesome adventures.

September 5, 2011

The App trail would be cool–it’s crazy how many states it spans!

• Rock

July 19, 2016

Now I know who the brainy one is, I’ll keep loknoig for your posts.

• Meus amoreeeeeeeees!!! Como é bom entrar aqui e ver tanta história bacana Brasil a fora… Quanto orgulho!!! A cada dia que passa eu sou mais feliz por fazer parte dessa família linda, com quem divido tantos momentos ainda mais lindos! Muito obrigada pelo carinho de sempre, pela atenção de sempre, pelas risadas de sempre! E vamo que vamo porque, como diria Dj Negralha, o som não pode parar!Beijos da Rê!

• athletic-club.eus

November 2, 2016

Una soluzione un po' da smanettoni e un po' social, insomma, che dovrebbe avere il pregio di eliminare i link non pertinenti e soprattutto le "content farm", i siti-esca che contengono parole chiave disposte a casaccio per attirare traffico ma non forniscono contenuti reali (e anzi spesso offrono infezioni).Ma non si corre il rischio che ci sia qualcuno che paghi per etichettare i siti non pertinenti?

November 15, 2016

OK…What i don\\’t realize is actually how you\\’re not actually much more well-liked than you might be right now. You are very intelligent. You realize thus considerably relating to this subject, produced me personally consider it from so many varied an…

November 24, 2016

Master Fierro, parece que todos estamos del mismo lado, con algunos matices, pero pensando que esto no va a servir para nada.Saludos y gracias por dejar tu opinión-

• oh sana may 3 hihi.. I hope I can visit you the weekend of your birthday.. hmmmmwill ask my driver aka hubby heheemail mo sa akin sketch ng bahay nyo hehe

• Sonny Lemmons

September 5, 2011

Dude, I am jealous. Seriously jealous. It has been ages since I hiked/camped anywhere, and this opportunity of yours is just beautiful. Be safe, and try not to let your mind be blown by what all you see and experience. A lot of it will be too much for words, so just – like Mary – treasure & store up those memories for what they will mean to you.

And bring back a cool rock or two. :)

September 5, 2011

Good idea with the rock! It’ll be my very own piece of Africa. :)

September 5, 2011

Have a good time, Dustin!

Sounds like an amazing opportunity your job gave you. I can’t wait to be part of that sort of company (especially if it’s my own! lol).

I like your points about blogger, and I bet they would work for fatherhood as well. Taking risks (is there any other way to love?), real-time community (spending time with the family), and endurance (taking all the beatings that comes with fatherhood).

I’m not there yet, but I am grateful for all your leading! You are preparing me for that day.

September 5, 2011

Cool! Thanks for the comment, Alex. Didn’t think of it in regards to Fatherhood, but yes–think it fits in nicely. Thanks!

September 5, 2011

What a great opportunity! I hope it goes well for you and impacts you in ways you can’t even imagine.

Next summer when I’m in Czech, I will be parasailing off the top of the local mountain range. It will be with a guide, of course, but I’m really looking forward to the experience!

September 5, 2011

Wow! Parasailing sounds excellent!

• Larry Hehn

September 5, 2011

Have a great time, Dustin. I’ll be praying for you!

I’d like to climb Mount Kilimanjaro one of these days.

September 5, 2011

Thanks, Larry. Tanzania would be amazing.

• arny

September 5, 2011

Take my kids on the road trip that i used to go on with my family when I was younger….

• rachelle

September 5, 2011

Enjoy! Morocco is a beautiful place!

I guess a unique adventure would to spend several months driving through Australia and New Zealand… taking the time to see everything and what’s local. I haven’t seen a lot of America, I’d love to have the opportunity to drive across country and take my time to see all sorts of sites.

September 5, 2011

Agreed! New Zealand would be gorgeous!

September 5, 2011

This is a great post, Dustin…I don’t even know what I can add. But, I really connected with #3-you can easily get burntout with blogging. It is extremely demanding, especially if you want to develop a community and be a part of a community. I’ve learned so much about myself and my faith through blogging-so I think the rewards are definitely worth it! Not to mention, all the cool peeps I’ve connected with. :)

September 13, 2011

Agreed! Blogging is a world in itself… and one that, like you, I feel that I’ve learned a lot from.

• Sandy Sandmeyer

September 6, 2011

Dustin, how very exciting! I’m excited for you (and a tad bit jealous)! I would love to traipse across Ireland with my husband some day. I would like to take in the beautiful green isle with the people with lilting brogues. I can’t wait to get there someday.

September 13, 2011

If you do, take lots of pictures! :)

• Pingback: Reflections After The Hike | AbrahamChronicles.com