Reflections After The Hike

For those of you who read my post a few weeks back, and who might follow on Twitter or FB, I went to Morocco to hike up the tallest mountain in North Africa. Admitedly, that is not something I would normally choose to do during my sparetime. Hello–I’m a nerd, not a mountaineer!

While the trip was a ‘work function’ (team building), I feel that I approached it with a set of different eyes than the rest of my team. As I mentioned before heading out, I wanted to experience God’s beauty in a part of the world that, chances are, I won’t get to see again.

I was able to spend time in the center of a big city (both Marrakech and Casablanca) along with the beauty of a tiny mountain town (Imlil). Both unique, both spectacular!

Mt. Toubkal was actually behind that mountain!

Looking back at my reflections before the hike, I wanted to circle back around and see if my experience met my expectations.

Take risks. Simply by participating on this trip, I was able to cross this point off. I can definitely mark this off as something out of the ordinary for me.

Real time community. While it wasn’t the norm, one night of the hike included all 21 of us sleeping in a single room like sardines. Who knew I would sleep next to our CEO and one of our VPs?

Endure. I’ve completed a marathon. I’ve had sleepless nights (hello fatherhood!). Both require unbelievable endurance, but trekking up a mountain was something on a whole different level. Maybe it was that I truly didn’t know what to expect? A few hours into the hike, lugging a heavy backpack, I soon realized ‘one foot in front of the other’ will be my mantra for the next couple days. Also, I figured going up would be the hardest part — but going down required so much more mental activity.

All in all, it was a fantastic trip. The goal of the trip (building unity across a global organization) was a success. But on top of that, I was able to actively reflect on the beauty of God’s creation. At times I had to be intentional about stopping to look up, because going up (especially) I became so intent on pinpointing my steps. I didn’t want to be so focused on the activity that I failed to reflect on my surroundings.

Lastly, thanks for those fantastic guest bloggers to ‘holding down the fort’ in my absense. If you haven’t already, be sure to subscribe to Justin, Tony, and Keri’s individual blogs. Also, in case you missed it, my wife graciously shared her amazing writing (“I Am From”) the week after I returned. Great stuff.

Describe an experience in your life where you learned about ‘endurance’.

• Michael Perkins

September 26, 2011

Endurance…I have a lot of those stories but the thing that really shaped me the most was when I was in 6th grade. I was playing pee wee football and had to lose 30 lbs to run the football that year. All summer long I ran and ran and ran. And when weigh ins came, I got to run the ball.

September 26, 2011

That’s so cool. You saw an objective and worked your tail off to get it. Well done!

Endurance…

Having 2 major heart surgerys…
    and have 1 trauma experience at age 17…very scary…

I”m enduring…

September 26, 2011

Wow! And that’s not a “one and done” thing for you. I’m sure you’re enduring even now… Thanks for sharing Arny.

• Joseph

September 26, 2011

Glad you had a good trip Dustin. Endurance? It’s sad but I don’t have a fantastic story to tell. I would like to run a Marathon one day. I may look in to doing that next year.

September 26, 2011

Dig a little deeper… I’m sure there is something :)

But yes, I’d recommend a marathon (if that’s your thing) – It will test you like no other. It’s physical, yes, but very mental at the same time.

• Loren Pinilis

September 26, 2011

One foot in front of the other. One foot in front of the other. That’s where I’m at today.

September 26, 2011

Seems like you could write an entire post on this >> Also, I figured going up would be the hardest part — but going down required so much more mental activity.

I’d love to hear more about that part of the experience!

Endurance? Plain and simple…how about marriage and parenthood? Or marriage and parenthood, COMBINED!

September 26, 2011

Oh, and thanks for sharing your space with me! It was lots of fun. And, I really appreciate the shout outs, Dustin. :) Glad you had a good trip and made it back safe.

Stay tuned… :)

Marriage and parenthood? I think everyone would agree one that one!

September 26, 2011

Sounds like it was an amazing opportunity, Dustin, one you will remember for a long time to come!

• Tony J. Alicea

September 26, 2011

I’ve never climbed a mountain so that would be a new experience for me!

So was coming down the mountain actually harder than going up?

September 26, 2011

It really was. Maybe it was because I just ‘figured’ going down would be so much easier. But, it was going down when I got blistered, my legs started hurting, and I had to focus so much more.

• Tangela

November 17, 2016

So extremely grateful and proud of my husband Walt who served our country in the Air Force. Also this is a very special Veterans Day for us as a family as we just welcomed our son Jared home from Afiahngstan. So proud of him and the sacrifices he has made for our country. I do not take this blessing lightly as I am grateful to all those families who bore the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom through the loss of a family member. God’s blessings to all our veterans! Thank you for your service.

• Woman of Alien…Perfect work you’ve got done, this site is actually awesome with great info. Time is God’s means of maintaining all the things from going on directly….

• lacma discounts

March 9, 2017

You moron. This has been going on for decades. Stop blaming one side. Blame them all. Wake up, stop being brainwashed by Rush, O’Reilly, Beck, and Hannity. Stop being a douche.

September 26, 2011

I have spent three nights in a Panamanian Jungle and three days trekking through that jungle. It was quite an experience and quite beautiful so I get what you are saying here about endurance.

Glad it was a great trip!

September 26, 2011

Wow, that must have been cool! Did you sport your abs?

September 26, 2011

When I went to India a few years back…I was pretty much really sick for the whole trip. I think we had to make 3 or 4 hospital visits. Not a fun time, but definitely an enduring moment.

September 26, 2011

Aw man, sorry to hear that. You travel halfway cross the world and end up sick. :(

• Boss

July 19, 2016

Forsøg pÃ¥ at kommunikere:Til Daniel og alle I andre besynderlige po;demot-rnister:>&gtsSom sÃ¥ mange andre ting har ordet præludium mere eller mindre mistet sin oprindelige betydning – det er naturligvis et forspil, men du vil ofte se i “programmet” i kirken under dÃ¥b og konfirmation at organisten lukker og slukker med “præludium”.

• Jon Stolpe

September 26, 2011

I learned a lot (and am learning a lot) about endurance through the healing process following my wife’s hospitalization last year at this time. It’s been a journey of being re-grounded, of learning to prioritize, and re-learning to trust. I know that there will be complications ahead, and I’m learning that endurance and hope will be a lifetime necessity. I hold onto that hope and knowledge each day.

September 27, 2011

Wow, thanks for sharing Jon. That had to have been a hard time in your life – seeing your wife experience what she experienced. I’m certain that by you being there helped her throughout the whole experience.

• Minnie

July 19, 2016

Bra inlägg! Man ska alltid tänka poitvsti! Livet går upp och ner, det gäller att bestämma sig för att det löser sig!

December 23, 2016

Chris, this is a fantastic tutorial! You might want to add a couple quick things to your SELECT statement before the ORDER BY, “WHERE post_type=’post’ AND post_status = ‘publish’” these two limiters will ensure that the popular post is in fact a post (instead of a page) and that it’s published.Fantastic tutorial! Thanks for posting these.

• Don’t forget that the woman who got killed according the Fayetteville police press release stated that she had a record of public intoxication arrests among other things. She was known to be drunk quite often. She was thought to be walking in the middle of the road on Mt. Comfort. So really anyone could have hit her. Had the guy just stopped and did what he was suppose to do then he might have been let go given her record. Either due to unfounded fear or that he was himself drunk or on drugs he is now more screwed than ever.

September 26, 2011

You’ve done a full marathon (26.2 miles)? Wow, I’m impressed.

I once had to go to my wife’s families house and all of her family was there. Man, I persevered and I had to endure the challenge. Talk about endurance. My wife was so proud, she made me cupcakes for the whole month. #awesome.

September 27, 2011

Well… I did hurt my knee halfway through (had to have surgery months later), but I made it. It was tough.

Cupcakes for a whole month? Dang boy! ;-)

• Jason Wert

September 26, 2011

Dude, my whole life is a test of endurance. :)

Glad you enjoyed the experience.

September 27, 2011

Thanks man. Endurance = long term. Remember it’s long term!

• chris vonada

September 27, 2011

I’m so glad that you wrote this as I’ve been wondering about your trip!

here’s another taste of endurance… rim to river to rim at the Grand Canyon in a day (north rim at that!). It.Was.Tough!

September 27, 2011

I went to the Grand Canyon as a kid (maybe 10 yrs old)… always wanted to go back as an adult. I bet that was a really cool experience.

September 27, 2011

When we went from having 1 child to having 4 children within a 6 month time period. That was an endurance building time for sure.

September 27, 2011

Wow, yeah I’d say so. We have friends who went from 0-3 in a year’s time…. but yours tops it off! :)

September 27, 2011

Congrats, Dustin! Sounds like you had an amazing time.

I’m excited to see what ideas and insights God gave you on this trip!

September 27, 2011

Thanks, Alex. I appreciate that!

• jenn

September 27, 2011

That sounds like an amazing experience.

Endurance… At the moment I would have to say school. Yeah, that’s what I’m enduring right now. One day at a time. :)

September 27, 2011

While raising a little one? Um, yeah totally!

September 27, 2011

I hear you – endurance is RIGHT! I’ve been working out and getting into shape walking up this steep hill near our house – OFTEN and I’m still out of shape – it takes a lot of strength and endurance to do what you did – you should be very proud :)

• Pingback: Descending Down Your Mountains | AbrahamChronicles.com