Opening The Door To A New Level Of Excitement

One of my special “Daddy moments” happens from time to time when open the front door after coming home from a long day at work. The first thing I hear is “DADDY!” My two daughters light up and sprint to my arms. It’s heartwarming and priceless.

How does that make me feel? Like the most loved and cherished person in the world!

The level of excitement that I arrive home to each day!

Regardless of the “baggage” I’m lugging into the home, they accept, engage, and pursue me. They don’t care what I went through that day. They aren’t expecting me to bring them any gifts, or present them with a nugget of wisdom to complete their day. All they know is Daddy is home, so let’s shout, cheer and holler!

Isn’t that like our relationship with Christ sometimes? We’ll open the door to allow Him to work in and speak to our lives, and He responds, “MY CHILD!” Will there will ever be a time when He doesn’t accept and pursue us? Absolutely not.

All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. (John 6:37)

Is that hard for me to realize at times? Sure! I mean, who am I? Why would God accept and use a broken wretch with baggage?  So you’re saying that He wants to use “little ‘ol me’ for His glory? Today I chose to believe this, and remember that without reservation He loves. Without abandon He pursues. Without hesitation He accepts.

In what ways has God shown/proven to you He accepts you?

January 21, 2011

Dustin, that pic is priceless. It really summarizes His love well.

January 21, 2011

thanks man-i’m learning that those truly are special moments that God’s blessed me with

January 21, 2011

Good words–great pic. I get that response, too, but just from my 2-yr-old. The others only do it occasionally now.

January 21, 2011

i’m sure as they get older their reactions might change a little bit.. :) matt, you have a bunch of kids, right? we want a big family also!

January 21, 2011

Yes–5. As of right now they are 9, 7, 7, 6, and 2. We are in a big birthday period right now, so these ages are subject to change :)

January 21, 2011

Love that! Nice to know a little more about you.

January 21, 2011

Love this! I can’t wait to get my own little ones.

God met me at my lowest place after my biggest failure and I felt His acceptance. It was truly a prodigal son moment. It was the first time I ever experienced anything like that with God. It wrecked me for life and made me forever grateful of His love.

January 21, 2011

tony, you’ll love it. i promise.

Also, I appreciate you sharing that- I’ve felt a similar acceptance as well while in college. Defintely spurs on a heart-attitude of gratefulness.

• Randy Kinnick

January 21, 2011

Even when I messed up royally, He pursued me…He loves me unconditionally. Some days I can’t seem to wrap my mind around that. What a lavished love we have from our God. (It’s been a long time since I’ve had that reaction from my daughter when arriving at home. She’s almost 22 now. But occasionally, I get a tweet from her saying, “I love you Daddy!” It’s emotionally the same!)

“Lavished love”-love that!

Randy, it is a dream of mine that my daughters will tweet one day. :)

January 21, 2011

It’s unfathomable how He can love us in spite of our imperfections. I don’t understand it. I don’t WANT to understand it, I just love knowing it.

If I ever doubt his acceptance of me, all I have to think about was the time He sent His son down for us, even though he knew at the time we would all make the mistakes we will make, and have made.

January 21, 2011

Ben, that is an excellent reminder… one you should write down and carry in your pocket. Thanks for your thoughts!

January 21, 2011

Man, awesome picture. I have two little ones (girl 6, boy 3) and when I get home, I become a tree that they climb. I love it.

This reminds me of this verse:

“I love those who love me, And those who seek me diligently will find me.” Prov. 8:17

Our kids know when daddy is close to coming home and when we do, the rush begins!!!!

January 21, 2011

Great verse- thanks for sharing!

(btw, I love being a tree too!)

January 21, 2011

What a great post! I don’t have kids myself, but my best friends’ kids get all excited when they see Uncle Jay. It’s priceless.

As far as God showing me He accepts me – the biggest way is that, even when I fall, even when I sin and have the days where I’m not passionate about Him, He still calls me son. No matter what I do, He still calls me son. That’s overwhelming.

January 21, 2011

Absolutely! The truth that He is your Father is enormous. And.. no matter what, you’ll always be His son.

• Michelle

January 21, 2011

I have this book I read to my son each night. He’s a bit of a ham and loves anything with pictures (and occasionally acting it out). This book is full of great truths spun into Bible stories (maybe because its so close to the true scripture! The bible is never boring stuff people). Anyway, last night i read about Leah and Rachel and I loved, loved, loved how this story said it. They talked about how Leah was ugly and unloved and Jacob was really angry that he had to marry her because of Laban’s trick and yet, God chose HER, the ugly girl who was always picked last, never looked at as beautiful, to bare Judah. and I loved how this book said it, “Leah became a princess who would bear the prince of peace”. UGH. Broke me. God used Leah to bring Jesus into the world – her family line. Not beautiful Rachel. He chose the ugly girl. He does that throughout scripture and proves time and time again, He isn’t looking for Mr. Wonderful. he’s just looking for the broken to be used.

January 25, 2011

Great stuff, thanks for sharing that. I especially love that you were able to learn/communicate that truth to your son as well.

January 21, 2011

That moment when I walk through the door to the arms of my wife and kids is the best part of the day.

Good to know God welcomes me the way my family does at the end of a hard day.