Off The Beaten Path

While traveling in DC earlier this week, I decided to do something out of the ordinary (for myself at least).

Arriving late on a Sunday night, I took a restaurant recommendation from a friend and ventured out to a Belgium gastropub. She warned me that it was “off the beaten path”, so I suppose I should have been prepared…

Photo credit: XXVIII (Creative Commons)

I’m not adverse to eating by myself, and in fact, traveling cross-town in search of a perfect bison burger and twice-fried frites was something I was a excited about.

There were countless reason to not go: it was late, I was in a new city, I was by myself, it was 20 minute walk through a sketchy part of town, they stopped serving food in 30 minutes, etc, etc, etc.

When it was all said and done, the evening was fantastic.

I enjoyed a great, low-key meal and enjoyed the quiet nightly stroll through some pretty cool parts of DC.

All because I took that first step.

What is your favorite off-the-beaten-path restaurant?
In what way do you need to “take that first step”?

January 26, 2012

I have two actually:

– There’s this little restaurant I stumbled upon during my first trip to Prague in March, 2006. We had been walking around all morning in the cold, were a bit lost (you haven’t experienced Prague if you don’t get lost) and found this restaurant in our wanderings. It was exactly what I imagine when I think of European bistros: Small, dimly lit, curved walls – and the most amazing onion soup I have ever tasted!

– The second is this restaurant we always visit in Czech when we hike up a mountain during our youth retreat. They have the most amazing garlic soup on the face of the planet. I love it. And it is off the normal path – you spend about 2 hours walking up the mountain to get there!

January 30, 2012

2 hrs for a bowl of garlic soup… now that is awesome!

January 26, 2012

I love the “off beat” restaurants and hideaway B&B’s for the same reason – they are usually THE BEST! We love a little Indian place in our downtown area – looks like a “hole in the wall” and it’s the BEST food!!

January 27, 2012

Honestly – where I live – every Restaurant is off the beat and path. There is a Pizza place called Pino’s that is pretty awesome in the next little village over.

I took a big step last night – God laid on my heart Men’s Ministry which the church I pastor did not have one at all. It has been on my heart for a year and last night was the first step of getting a group of men together – it was awesome!

January 30, 2012

very cool, jim – I know God will bless your faithfulness.

• arny

January 27, 2012

My Kitchen…on saturday mornings with my family…

January 30, 2012

what’s cookin’ in the skillet? :)

• Lavinia

November 17, 2016

You really saved my skin with this infirmatoon. Thanks!

January 27, 2017

WebStudy is interesting – it’s been around for a while, but never really become a market force. It seems to be well-received, but no real momentum. I would classify it as a niche provider, but not a broad market participant. If I’m missing something, let me know.

• Oh wow, this is wonderful. I like the scene you made and all the little details. It fits so well together and it give me a christmas feeling already. Hugs, Nanda

• moe

January 27, 2012

There’s this little spot called 9th Street espresso in downtown Manhattan. They make the best espresso coffee in the city. I love the place. It has become popular today after an article on the NY Times a few months ago. Now, it’s hard to find a place to sit on a morning. When I sit there, with cup in hand it makes a perfect moment.

January 30, 2012

i expect you to take me there when I’m in NYC next…k?

January 27, 2012

-When I was in college, one of my friends and I, would explore Bing and the surrounding area. We would check out the local restaurants, hole in the walls; we went to a whole lot of places. It was fun, and the food was delicious (most of the time ;)).

-I think I’m in the process of taking a big step right now–just in decisions that need to be made as well as writing my first book (this time I actually started haha).

January 30, 2012

Wow, a book? Very cool Jon.

• rachelle

January 30, 2012

In Philadelphia there are a lot of off the beaten path places and food trucks!

In college, pre-Chipotle existence on the east coast, there was this burrito place called ‘The Joint’ and it was cheaper than Chipotle and the burritos were bigger. It was located in a really sketchy and touristy area of the city that I despise venturing to, but it was worth it because of how cheap the delicious the food was.

When I was living in France I found this little Lebanese place that operated out of the family’s kitchen in the apartment upstairs… not sure if that was legal, but it was amazing food.

I have a colleague who used to work for the city, I forget his title, but he investigated places that were in violation. Turns out, he closed a ton of places that I would venture to. He couldn’t believe I’d go to these places, but all I could say was, “hey, I’m still alive! couldn’t have been that bad!”

January 30, 2012

sometimes “those” establishments have the best food. you don’t want to see a 60s-ish restaurant rating on the wall, but no doubt the food is excellent :)

• Stephen Haggerty

January 30, 2012

Nice thoughts. My favorite is “The Texas Inn” which is a hole-in-the wall burger join in Lynchburg, VA, endearingly called “The T-Room” by the locals. It’s greasy, dingy, and you don’t exactly get A-class service, but they have the best comfort food around.
    I like this lesson to take the first step. Sometimes that’s all it takes to strike out in the right direction towards something better.

February 2, 2012

Love that. I think I’d enjoy the T room. :)