My Wife Wrote My Blog Post

Not going to lie… it happens from time to time.

She’ll formulate key sentences and even edit out the paragraphs to make the idea stream flow much smoother. In fact, a couple times she has even come up with the topic and more than half of the post content.

She is an educator by trade, and a journaling maverick by night. She loves to read and scrapbook the lives of our children. She’s an idea-formulating queen. I may generate an idea and type out some notes for a post, but then ask her for supplemental thoughts and some pointers. Next… she’ll do her brilliant copy editing work.

Why is that a beautiful thing?

She is my behind-the-scenes partner who is okay with minimal internet acknowledgements. In the end, she doesn’t want recognition from other people. But… that is not the end. It shouldn’t end there.

She needs appreciation from me.

Not just in a silly blog post.
Not just in a casual e-mail.
Not just in a text.

In any everyday-I appreciate what you do-kind of way.

So, this post if a confession of sorts. While I have the best of intentions at times to publish quality content at least three times a week, sometimes it takes my seriously-better-half to push me to achieve that goal. Even though she wouldn’t seek it out herself, I want to give her the recognition she deserves!

Even more than this blog, however, she encourages me to pursue my dreams, live authentically, and model a faith that it loud and contagious. I love her for that!

Do you bounce ideas of other people? Who inspires you?

Simple solution, D.

Change the name of this blog to “Abraham and Sarah Chronicles”.

Simple.

By the way, your wife is worthy of a double-portion of ice cream for her hard work. Besides, Baby V would love it.

Well played Donald!

March 9, 2011

You know, Donald… my wife has said on more than one occasion that she was going to create a site called “Sarai Chronicles”. Believe me, if she ever does… I know all my readers will prefer it over my site. :)

• Donald Borsch Jr.

March 10, 2011

Ooooh, my RSS reader thingy is waiting in anticipation! LOL! It would be interesting if she did do her own blog.

You.

Her.

Blogging.

The possibilities are endless.

• Justin

Donald for the win!

March 9, 2011

I love this. I’m looking forward to the day where my “better half” is involved in my writing. I love how you guys work together like this. It makes my heart happy!

thanks, Tony!

March 9, 2011

I’m pretty much just gonna echo what Tony said – I love how you guys work together on this and hope someday to have a “better half” who is involved in my writing as well!

March 9, 2011

So I guess she has 3 kids. Interesting. :)

Love this post. Giving credit to the person behind the scenes who does the good word of encouraging. Perfect example of a suitable helper.

Now, you have to leave the kids with grandma and take her to Greece. What are you waiting for? Go! Go! Go!!!!

March 9, 2011

This falls along the lines of your comment the other day “Want to see a great man?”

I always tell people we have 4 kids, including me.

March 9, 2011

I can see that. It’s kind of awesome!

Agreed… awesome!

March 9, 2011

Moe, whoa now… Greece is her ultimate destination…. you’re putting me in a interesting spot now… :)

March 9, 2011

It’s awesome that your wife is involved in your writing AND that you feel comfortable leaning on her “brilliant copy editing work”.

Way to be a knock out team.

March 9, 2011

Dude… I promise, if I pushed out a “post” by myself the grammar would be choppy, ideas would flow together, and comments would more than likely include “not sure where you were going there”… :)

• Jason

March 9, 2011

Awesome teamwork dude. My wife’s my sounding board more than anyone else too. She’s only ever written one post (and that was on my 40th birthday) but she’s contributed some great ideas. I love having a wife who’s so supportive.

March 9, 2011

That’s awesome. Totally agree!

• Jay Cookingham

March 9, 2011

My wife Christine for sure (although she prefers to be behind the scenes)she is my first and major sounding board. Of course, I am the same for her…we are best friends as well as a happy married couple!

March 9, 2011

Nothing wrong with being behind the scenes… make sure you let her know you appreciate her! (I need to do that more often)

March 9, 2011

I’m so with you on this, bouncing ideas off Kim has proven to be so helpful, especially when I have written something I’m unsure of.

Amazingly enough, my 10 year old gives pretty awesome unbiased feedback because she’s so inquisitive, and asks TONS of “why” questions which really makes me think.

March 9, 2011

Kids are cool like that. Even in simple situations my 3yo asks so many “how come” or “why” questions…. It definitely makes me think through things even more.

• Jon Malstrom

March 9, 2011

Great thoughts here. I need to get better at including my wife more in my process. I do bounce things off her, but not as consistently as I should. I guess pride gets in my way sometimes.

March 9, 2011

Pride is a tricky thing… I, too, want to take as much ownership for something at times. Just remember that she is on your side!

• Johon

March 9, 2011

I love that my wife is not afraid to read my blog before it posts and tell me if it stinks. Like you, I appreciate my wife’s “editing work.” Before it’s posted, it must pass the Erin test. (Usually – not all the time, to be perfectly honest.)

March 9, 2011

I can relate to your comment… all of it. Many times my wife graciously lets me know that the post needs revisions.. :)

• Jeff Randleman

March 9, 2011

Both my greatest inspiration and my greatest encouragement come from Heather, my wife. And I probably don’t tell her that enough, or thank her for it enough.

March 9, 2011

Tell her thank you today… she deserves it! :)

March 9, 2011

My wife inspires me. She is amazing.
    I love to talk to her about ideas I have for posts when it comes to my blog. I value my wife’s opinion. She has great insights into things that I never would have thought of.

March 9, 2011

Valuing her opinion is so important. Lets her know that you appreciate what she has to say. Thanks for sharing, Adam.

March 9, 2011

I still send complicated material, controversial material and creative material to my ex-husband. He and I have always shared a love of words and intellectual puzzles. That may not always happen, but I believe in accepting knowledgeable help and critique.

I think your teamwork and acknowledgment of her contribution is a beautiful thing, man.

March 9, 2011

In fact, this was one post that I didn’t let her read before I posted it – not because of any reason, but we just got busy last night and didn’t think to look it over before I posted this morning. But, I think acknowledging her is important (well, at least, I’m learning more of that nowadays) – I certainly don’t appreciate what she does enough. Thanks for sharing, Kristin.

March 9, 2011

My wife and kid both inspire me all the time.

March 9, 2011

…and it shows in your posts! Love reading the simple lessons they teach you all the time.

• Jonathan

March 9, 2011

Dude…it’s so awesome to see the dynamic between you and your wife! This blog has been awesome, and to see the little community that you’ve created…so awesome.

For me…well inspiration comes from experiences, family, friends, news, and so much more. And one day, that special someone ;)

March 9, 2011

thanks, jonathan – appreciate the kind words!

March 9, 2011

Dustin-I recently read “On Writing” by Stephen King (as recommended by Melissa Brotherton!) and he talks a lot about how his wife is his First Reader. It was so touching, just like this post!

To be honest, my husband and I are such complete opposites that he doesn’t think bloggy like I do. He greatly supports my endeavors, but it’s not so much his bag. He’s much more of a do-er, get your hands dirty and play some ball kinda guy. But, I love him for that.

And, that is also the reason why I am soooo incredibly grateful that God gave me my bff Cindy who has been a constant encouragement in my life, a true sister in Christ. She is the one with whom a phone convo will turn into a blog post-who I’ll text at 1130 at night and say-can you read this and tell me if I’m out in left field? What I would do without her encouragement, I would never want to know.

March 9, 2011

For 38 (39 in June) years, my wife has been the behind-the-scenes person to my public persona. She abhors the spotlight, doing what she can to stay out of it. I asked her to speak, along with several other women, on Mother’s Day last year. First time EVER! She did a phenomenal job but it simply is not her cup of tea. Could I get her to do it again? I seriously doubt it. You are blessed if you have a woman who stands behind you-pushing, prodding, encouraging, and being your #1 cheerleader.

March 9, 2011

what a touching example. the thing is, even if she never did that I’m certain she would still be phenomenal “behind the scenes”!

• Larry Hehn

March 9, 2011

I run just about every post past my wife before hitting the publish button. And if I get a really wacky idea, it’s nice to have her save the public from it!

March 9, 2011

:) I know exactly what you mean!!

March 9, 2011

I don’t bounce blog ideas off of anybody, normally. However, many of the ideas for my posts come from off-handed comments made during conversations with co-workers and friends. They have gotten used to me quickly writing things down during conversations.

March 10, 2011

Awesome! I want to be better about writing stuff down… or at least capturing it through my phone (evernote).

• Nathan

March 10, 2011

I knew there was a wizard behind this chronicle curtain! ;)

March 10, 2011

there is always a wizard behind my “wizardry” :)

March 10, 2011

For me too it is my bride of 18 and soon to be 19 years. I love bouncing ideas around. She always brings such a different perspective.

March 10, 2011

….and they are great perspectives!!

• Marlee

March 10, 2011

I’m loving the Ambraham & Sarah Chronicles idea! I think The Donald is on to something. Or…you could just add a category to your site “The Sarah Chronicles,” I’ll be her first commentor! :)

March 10, 2011

Ok then…. I’ll have to bring it up and see what she thinks :)
      (in the past it has been in jest…)

• jbussell

March 10, 2011

Love it! I often ask my wife to proofread my posts and tell me what she thinks before I post it, but now I’m thinking about having her contribute. She’s a great writer and much smarter than I am. I don’t have as many readers and certainly don’t get as many comments as you do, but I’m thinking that if I get her involved it will improve my blog overall. Trust me, she’s my way better half! Good stuff Dustin.

March 10, 2011

thanks for the comment! my wife is the smarter one also :)

• Justin

March 10, 2011

My wife is a source of calming words. When I’m anxious anything, she’s there with simple reminders of what’s real. I also turn to some close mentors who sustain me through whispers of the Word.

As a creative, I’ve learned that it helps to toss my ideas to several people in order to get insight into things I’ve overlooked or just didn’t think about altogether. Wise counsel…..

March 10, 2011

Really like your comment, Justin – “source of calming words”. And… yes to the rest!
      “The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice.” Prov 12:15

• Bryan Thompson

March 10, 2011

Dustin, I’m there with you, bro. My wife is a great person to bounce ideas off of. In fact, like you (at least in most ways) I usually read my entire post to her before it’s ever posted. She will be honest and tell me when an idea isn’t coming across or when a phrase doesn’t make sense. It’s a bigger help than I realize at the time.

She is amazing and I must say I don’t know what I would do without her. :)

March 10, 2011

Bryan… it’s a great thing to have that mindset: “don’t know what I’d do without here”. :)

• Mary cherry

March 11, 2011

Dustin, You both are fortunate to have found each other and to be able everything… including…writting.. (LOL) We miss you her, hope things are fine with your new endevours.

March 11, 2011

Thanks, Mary! Miss seeing you guys as well.

• Melissa Brotherton

March 11, 2011

My husband reads a lot of my posts. Some he isn’t able to because I am a procrastinator and stay up until midnight writing. Haha! I always value his feedback, though. He and I think so differently, it’s good for me to realize the things that don’t make sense.

I think it’s great that you two write together. Having the support of your spouse is the number one thing to help you in the long haul.