Jesus or Cheez-Its?

It was a simple three word sentence that had Jen and I bubbling with joy.

“I want Jesus!”

We were eating dinner at the time, finishing up, and all of a sudden our 2 year-old, Olivia, said it a couple times.

We looked at each other with pride. Confirmation! We are doing something right!

Our 2 year-old daughter is calling for her Savior.

In all sincerity, we were honored that, out of the blue, she would be calling for Jesus.

We replied, “Say it again, sweetie!” and “Who do you want?”

Then it hit us.

She had us rolling in laughter.

She wasn’t having a salvation experience but rather calling for the cheesy baked cracker that we all know and love.

You got that right. She was saying, “I want Cheez-Its!”

For the next five minutes, we were dying. We couldn’t stop chuckling. After all, who doesn’t like a Cheez-It?!

Olivia was unintentional in what she said. We took it one way, but she meant it a totally different way.

Sometimes I fool myself into thinking I am wholeheartedly giving God my best. I say one thing, but in my heart it means something else.

“Sure, of course I’ll commit to reading my Bible every day this month!” becomes a chore that falls to the wayside after two weeks.

“Count me in for helping you move this weekend!” becomes quid pro quo for ‘what can you now do for me?’

Ouch.

Guilty.

I want to remember that God deserves my best–my “first fruits”. He also wants my heart to match up with what my words are saying.

How can you give God “your best” today?
Cheez-Its or Cheetos?

June 6, 2011

I really need to carry the feelings that I had yesterday while worshiping at church out into the rest of the week.

Cheez-Its for me.

June 6, 2011

So, your story reminded me of that Modern Family episode where Gloria confuses baby cheeses and baby Jesus hahaha!!

Dude, I am guilty of this, too. Actions definitely speak louder than words, and I don’t want to give God empty words. It’s all about the heart.

June 6, 2011

That episode is hilarious. I forgot about that one!

Giving God empty words, so true. Me neither.

June 6, 2011

I can give God my best today by, Maybe giving more of my “thoughts” to him today…instead of “worries” if you will that will try to invade my mind today…

Cheetos…

June 6, 2011

You had me chuckling along with you and Jen over this Dustin. But you have to teach her to say “Chee-tos” instead. Although, that sort of ruins it since it doesn’t sound spiritual. :) (Can you tell I don’t care for Cheez-its?) And to answer your question: yeah, I am too often guilty of the “do as i say not as I do” problem.

Side: I have this sneaking suspicion the Valencia household is filled with moments like this.

June 6, 2011

Bill, your sneaking suspicion is a pretty accurate guess… :) We have plenty of moments like this…hehe

• Jonathan Pearson

June 6, 2011

Cheez its or Cheetos… both are good to me! Hilarious illustration man!

June 6, 2011

Generally, both are good for me as well :) Thanks!

• Jon Stolpe

June 6, 2011

I’m definitely going with Cheez-Its – they just taste so Cheesy!

Finding healthy consistency can be a challenge. So often we guilt ourselves into a discipline thinking it will make us more “holy.” I definitely think it’s a constant battle. Being intentional with each word, thought, and action is so much more challenging than it sounds.

Perhaps, a better question (for me) is how am I going to give God “my best” this moment?

June 6, 2011

>>> Being intentional with each word, thought, and action is so much more challenging than it sounds.

Absolutely, yes! That is where the healthy balance/consistency comes in…

• Brandon

Haha! That’s awesome!

June 6, 2011

flamin hot cheetos here man.

June 6, 2011

Michael is all about flaming. Just sayin’.

June 6, 2011

you know, honestly, flaming hot cheetos are ridiculous (in a very good way).

June 7, 2011

Great. So two of my e-brothers admit to being flamers. *facepalm* LOL!

• Jason

June 6, 2011

What happens if you despise Cheez-Its and Cheetos?

As for giving my best to God, I’m just trying to be the best dad and husband I can be today.

June 6, 2011

Then I suppose you’ll have to choose something else. Goldfish, maybe? :)

that is hilarious!

In once visited a mostly latin church and one woman gets up in the middle of the service and says, “I love Jesus” but her heavy accent it sounded like she said, “I love Cheeses”, I looked over to a friend of mine and said to him, “I love cheeses too, especially Swiss Cheese”, and we started cracking up in Church.

June 6, 2011

LOL!!!! I can actually hear the accent in my head!!! Soooo funny!

June 6, 2011

My friend and I still talk about it today. So funny!

June 6, 2011

awesome example. please don’t tell me you were teaching/preaching at the time…. ;-)

June 6, 2011

dude.. i have similar funny story with my wife and I when were first married when we were at her granfathers house and they had a missonary over from Brazil for dinner and meeting.. ill have to tell you about it sometime.. HYSTERICAL….

• jenn

This is too funny!

My actions don’t always match up to my words either. It’s something we all probably need to work on at times.

June 6, 2011

Thanks, Jenn. Kinda reminded me of the post you did a couple weeks back with funny things Shiloh said…

• Ally Garner

June 6, 2011

Guilty. This post is convicting in the way i spend time with God for sure. I give Him my rushed moments in the morning w/ quick devotions or shower prayer time, rather than my first fruits of quiet Bible study before i do anything else. I’ve always used the excuse of not being a “morning person” to set aside my time for God for when i think it’s most convenient for my schedule, at night before bed. The arrogance.

Give me Jesus & Cheetos :)

June 6, 2011

ouch, what you said resonated with me for sure (in a good way) – i do that quite often as well. thanks for sharing, ally.

June 6, 2011

Hot and Spicy Cheeze-its for me.

You describe me and it something that I have worked hard on getting and keeping in check.

June 6, 2011

Ooooo, I don’t know if I’ve ever had hot and spicy cheez-its. Those sound tasty!

• Joseph

June 6, 2011

Saying “I’ll be praying for you”… and never really praying. Something I’ve been working on. If I say I’ll pray for you I want to do it. I am working on doing what I say. Walking the talk per say.

Cheetos!

“My intentions don’t often match up with the greater significance of serving the Kingdom and bringing God glory.” I think many of us have trouble with this!

June 6, 2011

Cool, thanks for your thoughts, Joseph.

“What did He say?”

~”I think He said something about ‘Blessed are the cheese makers’.”
    ——————-

D,

Funny post, but also very convicting. ““I’ll be praying for you!” becomes a one-time thought about a prayer that never actually happens.” Ooooh, I hate that when it happens! This is why I only request prayer from people I know will handle it with integrity and diligence. To ask for prayer from someone who you only relate to online in a casual acquaintance kinda way…not exactly the same thing.

Today I wish to give God my Father my best by not trying to give Him my best. (I will only screw it up, anyways!) Nah, better to let His best work through me. It’s all about His Kingdom and His Name, after all.

Cheetos or Cheez-its? Neither. Cheese-powder-coated snacks remind me of…well…cheese-powder covered snacks. Blech.

June 6, 2011

LOL, yeah some folks are food snobs. Just sayin’. LOL. :)

Love that – let His best work through me.

• Blake Chenoweth

June 6, 2011

nothing beats a good cheez-it in my mind. except of course maybe the other word you thought she said, Jesus! He just doesn’t have the same baked cheese flavor though. Say what you really mean. I have gotten to the point where I won’t really tell people I will pray for them unless I pray with them at that exact moment. It is tough sometimes. Great thoughts Brother!

June 6, 2011

ooo, blake i’m with you with you say “pray with them at that exact moment”. not just with prayer but with other things as well. good reminder!

• Duane Scott

Oh, you know me…

Anything cheese covered is awesome.

This was a great post, Dusty!

June 6, 2011

I love it! Kids are great – never know what they’re going to say next. For a moment I thought maybe we were writing about the same thing today – but we kind of are! If it’s about Jesus – it’s all GOOD! Cheez-its for me!!

June 6, 2011

Here’s another article you might get a kick out of :) http://cindyholman.wordpress.com/2011/03/30/jesus-is-that-you/

June 6, 2011

Thanks for sharing Cindy! Checked it out. Lovely story!

And you’re absolutely right. Never know what those kiddos are gonna say sometimes! :)

• Matt

June 6, 2011

Perfectly said. That story is great. The prayer thing hits home. A friend of mine’s brother was going through a separation/divorce. I remember thinking about how I said I would pray for him and over the next three months, sad to say he rarely crossed my mind.

June 6, 2011

I know what you mean Matt. I’ve been guilty of the same thing… over and over again. Makes me said – and something I need to be intentional about or it’s just going to happen again. Thanks for the comment!

June 6, 2011

This may be my most difficult decision of the day. I think I’ll have to go with Cheetos.

I love you Cheez-Its. You’ve always been good to me.

June 6, 2011

i ALWAYS bring the heavy hitting questions, tony. what you see is what you get. :)

June 6, 2011

Hahaha! That’s hilarious! I love it!

As a fellow lover of Cheese-itz, I understand her desire to call out of them suddenly! lol.

I too spend more time with lip service than I do with actual service. It wasn’t always that way – after awhile selfishness overcame. Thanks for the reminder, Dustin. I’m called to let my yes be yes and to serve those God puts before me.

June 6, 2011

Lover of Cheese-Its…. Alex, I think we may need to get some professional help here. :)

But, thanks for the comment. :-)

June 6, 2011

Can’t I have both Cheez-Its AND Jesus???

That’s classic man. Definitely a story to remind her of later in life =D

June 6, 2011

Ha, I know – glad I decided to write it down right away. Want to remember this… :)

(And yes, yes you can)

June 6, 2011

I like both. but sometimes i like how orange my fingers get with cheetos and then i can lick them clean….weird i know.

June 6, 2011

adam, I know what you mean – not just the need to be a perfect christian, but also the hold up the appearance of one.

and, that is not weird. licking the cheesy goodness off your fingers is 50% of the allure of cheetos. :)

June 7, 2011

Adam,

You said:
      “I can give my best by not be so hard on myself. I think i have to be this perfect christian to be effective and that is not the case at all.”

We simply cannot ever be harder on ourselves than our Father really is. Stick with it, Adam!

June 6, 2011

Today, I read a Bible study today to 7 6-9 year olds, and we talked about how to apply that story to our lives. I cleaned up water and juice and wiped noses. I’m tired now, but I was the best day care worker I could be, for God, today.

Cheetos, for sure

June 6, 2011

that is a great example, kristin. love that you engaged them, gave your all, and in turn gave your all to God as well. thanks for sharing!

June 6, 2011

That picture is awesome. I’m half/half with cheetos/cheezits, I could do either.

I can beg giving God my best, by giving my wife and my family my best. Easy.

June 7, 2011

Have you ever taken Cheetos and Cheezits, poured them into a bag, and then shaken them up…. then eaten all together? Might be something to try out….

June 7, 2011

Pretzel sticks and plain tortilla chips. Yum.

Or…freshly popped popcorn and M&M’s. *drooool*

June 7, 2011

We are in VBS week, so I’m praying for God to help me give my best. And my choice these days is White Cheddar Cheez-its. MMmmmmm.

June 7, 2011

You know they make those mixed boxes, called Duoz I believe (they mix in Smoked Cheddar & Monterey Jack flavors)…. Heavenly!!

• Melissa Brotherton

June 7, 2011

I have to give my vote to Cheez-its…unless it’s Cheetos Puffs, I love those airy little things! :)

Such a great picture, Dustin. Haha!

• tom

June 7, 2011

love it. thanks for the chuckle!

June 8, 2011

I love moments like this with my kids.
    Definitely Cheetos.

This reminds me of a comedy bit by Dane Cook called Jeez-its.

June 8, 2011

Jeez-it’s…. gonna have to check that out!

• Sandy Sandmeyer

June 13, 2011

There are different reasons for eating Cheez-its and Cheetos, and I see no reason to have to choose!

• Rich Langton

June 15, 2011

Such a great story and reminder to mean what I say and say what I mean. Thanks