I’m A Cranky Runner

Bling Bling!

This weekend Jen and I ran the inaugural Savannah half-marathon. If you’re a runner and enjoy fun races–be sure to check out the Rock n’ Roll marathon series, we’re fans. With most of their races you can chose between the full and half marathon. With Savannah being so close, and this being the city’s “first”, we decided to make a long weekend of it!

Before I share what I want to share, let me tell you one thing: I am a cranky runner.

I pout. I quit. I remain silent.

There’s no other way to say it: I’m a cranky runner.

But, even in my ‘weakness’, my lady loves and prefers me.

She smiles. She presses on. She encourages.

At nearly every mile marker there was an encouraging voice saying, “You’re doing great! Keep it up, D! Feelin’ good!”

In the end, we casually ran 13.1 miles and enjoyed it together.

With the help of Jen, we pressed on and didn’t stop (other than to pee on a tractor–different story for another day).

A little encouragement literally goes a long way.

Are you a cranky runner?
Who has encouraged you lately?

November 8, 2011

Wait, I can’t get passed the peeing on the tractor…

Was it a backhoe, a tiller, a plow, a mower… what?

November 8, 2011

You sure know your tractors. I’ll have to Google it and let you know!

• Tom

November 8, 2011

Too funny and hope you come back to that tractor story some day! I have found when I focus on time, pace or my own goals I can be a cranky runner too. I have come to love running in the “spirit” over the past few years. When I try to focus on conversing and listening to the Spirit then I truly enjoy the run. But if I begin to push too fast and my breathing drowneds out my conversation with Him, I am just plain running too fast and for the wrong reason..for me. I am disappointed I have slacked off with running lately. Just last month I ran 13 miles with a friend training for a marathon…now for several weeks I haven’t run more than three miles…should have run a half while I had built up to it…maybe the Spirit and I will run one soon. Great message and glad Jen encourages you! Blessings!

November 8, 2011

Build it up and do it! Thanks for the comment, Tom!

November 8, 2011

I want to hear more about urinating on the tractor. :)

It’s amazing how encouragement brings forth a little extra hmmph we didn’t know we had.

The most I’ve ever ran was 5 miles. I’m not a runner (though I have stories from my youth that included cops and lots of running, but I digress).

Oh, and one question. In this post, which marathon were you referring to? Because you did tell me you took part in 2 marathons. :)~

Two marathons? SHH! lol

November 8, 2011

I’m not a cranky runner…cause…i’m not a runner!

I am however…a cranker walker! LOL…

I’m so bad at this lol….God I need to excersise…

i get encouragement from my wife also…love that girl!

November 8, 2011

a cranker walker? Hmm, that sounds interesting! j/k

November 8, 2011

Dude – you can’t drop a line like “peeing on a tractor” in your post and then say it’s a story for another day!

And yes, I’m kind of a cranky runner. If I run on the elliptical, it’s ok because I pull up a TV show on Hulu and kind of forget I’m running. But running outside? You might want to steer clear of me.

Line dropped! BAM!

You and I are alike my friend. :)

November 8, 2011

I’m more a “quiet…don’t talk to me” runner lol. I listen to my music, and just tune out the world. This is…when I run of course :).

Congrats to you and Jen!

• Brad Huebert

November 8, 2011

I’m not a cranky runner at all. I’m more of a “non-runner.” My wife, she’s a woman who wants, who needs to run. Me, not so much. But you’re right. Encouragement is fuel, its gold, its power.

November 8, 2011

It’s amazing how quickly it “fuels” yourself. Even around mile 8, we passed by a DJ who was playing some fast music, very “pump it up” stuff… and I turned to Jen and was like, “I felt like that was a shot in the arm!”

November 8, 2011

I have been a cranky runner but generally I am the we have got to press through this to finish kind of a runner and the best way to do that is to remain positive and focused.

Congrats on running and finishing to both of you!

November 8, 2011

Thanks Jim – and when you get to the point… say mile 8 or 9… it’s mental. Not gonna quit, not gonna stop… must press on and cross the finish line!

November 8, 2011

I remember those days all too well. I used to run cross country years ago and part of our training was running nearly 12 miles a day and some days as many as 15. That is where the not gonna quit came from – and you are dead on about mile 8 or 9!

• Rob Shepherd

November 8, 2011

I am more of a depressed runner. I start off strong but around mile one I get depressed that it’s not over. When people see me they think that I’m literally about to die. It’s why I like running with others. It helps keep my mind off of it. Oh and congrats on the run. That’s HUGE!

November 8, 2011

Thanks man. I feel that same way at times… I see folks pass me (I don’t run fast at all) and am like “wha??”. LOL

• Jon Stolpe

November 8, 2011

Congrats on your accomplishment!

I mostly enjoy running. I’m actually on target to run the upcoming Thanksgiving Day Marathon in Bronx, NYC, NY in a couple of weeks.

My wife is definitely my biggest encouragement in running – and mostly in life.

November 8, 2011

Wow… a marathon in NYC. Way cool. Are you going to make a mini trip out of it?

dude im jealous about the half. Hoping next year will be my year to do 13.1

I am a cranky runner when I am running by myself. I hate running alone. If I am running with someone I don’t complain at all and tend to be the encourager.

November 8, 2011

Even when I’m with people I’m still cranky. Ha! Which half are you thinking about doing?

• chris vonada

November 8, 2011

i love my run… and would love it so much more if i stopped to pee on a tractor. that would be worth going the distance!

November 8, 2011

It was certainly one of those ‘milestone moments’ in life. I was like, “What the heck!” :)

• Joseph

November 8, 2011

Listen, we want the peeing on a tractor story and we want it now. LOL… I can’t wait to hear about this. I’m glad you guys enjoyed your weekend. I want to run some type of race next year. 3K, 5K, Half marathon… Something.

Any tips?

November 9, 2011

Tip #1: Sign up for a race. Any race. Then, you’ve put a deadline/milestone on yourself. You have no other choice but to start training. :) Or, you could do it in steps… For example:

1. Local 5K in April/May
      2. Peachtree 10K in July
      3. Half-marathon on Thanksgiving.

November 9, 2011

My boyfriend just did a mud run in October. It looked like fun, so I told him I would train and run the next one with him in the Spring.

I’m a cranky runner, too. I’m cranky about exercise, period. But, I’ve committed to the idea, so, I’m going to put on my happy face and my running shoes and I’m going to do it.

November 11, 2011

That’s really what you need to do with running. Put on a happy face and just do it. :) Ha!

I did a mud run when I was in high school…loved it. It was actually at an Army Base so I felt all manly and stuff.

• Ally Garner

November 9, 2011

I ran the Rock ‘n Roll last year; it’s really a great race. I’d love to do the full at some point. I’m doing the Kiawah half next month. I’m not at all a cranky runner. I’m a weepy half-M runner though. Once I hit mile 10 the inevitable hip pain starts or I start convincing myself the last 3 miles is utterly impossible and I just want to cry. Then die. Honestly I don’t know why I continue to do this to myself, haha!

November 11, 2011

Sweet! Which RnR did you run?

Your pains and tribulations are just your own… just about every other person running those long runs/races with you are experiencing the exact same things. :)

• rachelle renée

November 11, 2011

I don’t know if I can say I’m a cranky runner, but I am a picky runner: I don’t want to run outside, I rather go on my treadmill and run. I want to make sure I have the perfect play list to keep me going. If I don’t do this within an hour of waking up, I won’t run at all. I have specific t-shirts that are most comfortable for running, they need to be washed.

This is why I will maybe do a run once a week, because I can’t even keep up with my preferences on a regular basis. I can’t imagine doing a half marathon… but maybe one day I’ll try!

November 11, 2011

You should try! Crossing the finish line makes it all worth it.

And, I’m the opposite – I’d rather run outside with no music at all. :)

• Pingback: A View To Remember | AbrahamChronicles.com

• jenn

December 1, 2011

So this comment is way late, but I’ll chime in anyway. :)

I’m totally a cranky runner. My sister (who just ran the We Run For the Party half in Nashville last month) was the one to actually push me enough to get through my first half mile without walking. Of course I grumbled at her the entire time. I’m definitely going to need her to run my first half with me.