Haiti in 5 Days!

We will be leaving for Haiti in five days. Crazy!

It is wild to think that a couple months ago we were in the planning stages of this this. And now here we are… on the brink of something exciting and unforgettable. Let me tell you a little about it.

The goods!

Myself, Jen and another adult will be leading ten high school students to Port-Au-Prince for a short 6-day trip with Compassion International. There we will be serving the people of Haiti by helping renovate a computer lab (laying tile, painting, light construction) and having plenty of relational time with the children of Compassion. If you aren’t familiar with Compassion, check them out here. They are a highly-respected, four-star charity (through Charity Navigator) with impeccable financial integrity. Basically, for $38/month you can sponsor a child from somewhere around the world and provide him or her with the essentials to impact their future. The monthly donation provides a loving, church-based Sponsorship Program that includes: food, clean water, medical care, education, life-skills, and the opportunity to hear about Jesus and be encouraged to develop a lifelong relationship with God.

I started sponsoring Meylin (from Guatemala) when I was a Sophomore in college. That was in 2001. Now, 11 years later, she has gone from a precious 4-year-old to a mature, confident 15 year old young lady! It’s been very neat to see her grow up and write letters back and forth.

What I am asking for right now is prayer. Please pray for safety, health, team morale, the people/children we’ll encounter, and the experiences that each team member will bring back to them as they return home a week later.

As I personally prepare for the trip I want to think about ways to not only commit to these children in Haiti, but also to the ten students we will be leading. They will each bring home a different experience, a different perspective. Their lives will be changed and their hope renewed.

Are you involved with Compassion or a similar charity?
Will you commit to pray for our team next week (Apr 1-6)?

Thinking about ways to cohesively align with Orange’s vision, I will occasionally be blogging (and tweeting #thinkorange) with ‘The Next Generation’ in mind. I encourage you to do the same. Additionally, I will be blogging during the Orange Conference 2012. If you plan on being there, please let me know!

March 27, 2012

Dustin! That is so awesome. I will definitely be praying for you and the youth you take with you. Mission trips have a way of changing us in radical ways. Praying that God messes you guys up in a good way!

March 27, 2012

Thanks, Jason – I appreciate you!

• Ken

March 27, 2012

Dustin: You, Jen and the team will be in my prayers every day. I know God will show you all so much of himself as you serve the children and families in Haiti. Thank you for your leadership and investment in the lives of Stonecreek students!

March 27, 2012

Thanks Ken – I appreciate your guidance and wisdom as we’ve prepared for this specific week. Thanks also for the opportunity to serve!

March 27, 2012

I am not involved with Compassion International, but we do help and support an orphanage in the Dominican Republic.

I’ll commit to praying for you and Jen. I hope you guys have a great experience and show them youngins how to do missions with purpose!

Rock on Valencias!

P.S. If a skinny Haitian with a scar across his face asks you if you know Moe from NYC. Say no!!!!

March 27, 2012

I’m afraid to ask…

(as always, thanks for your kind/encouraging words!)

• JBussell

March 27, 2012

We are big fans of Compassion. We sponsor 3 children; one from India, one from Ethiopia, and one from Columbia.

I’ll commit to praying for you, Jen, and the rest of the team. I can’t wait to hear about what God does on your trip.

March 27, 2012

That’s awesome Jeremy- have you sponsored them for a while now?

• JBussell

March 28, 2012

We have sponsored the child from Ethiopia and the child from India for almost 3 years. We just began sponsoring the child from Columbia.

We have a friend that took a trip to Columbia back in October. On his trip he got to visit several homes. During one of the debriefing times their group had, they were going through some of the packets and he recognized one of the children as a boy the team had visited that day. His sponsor, for whatever reason, had not renewed. So my wife and I decided to sponsor him. We had been considering it and since our friend had a chance to meet him we felt an instant connection with him.

March 30, 2012

Wow, so cool. Thanks for sharing that!

• Justin

March 28, 2012

so cool, Dustin! I will be praying for you, Jen and the team.

We’ve sponsored Seleman from Tanzania since 2007. It’s humbling – and pure joy to see him grow into a young man, and see his passion for Christ.

March 29, 2012

That is awesome! So excited for y’all. We’ll be praying for you.

March 30, 2012