Content is the Conversation

I was at a kickoff meeting for work last week, where they highlighted ECM, Open Source, and all the future industry collaboration trends and tools that will come about with social content management. Being new to the company, I learned a lot and met a ton of people. One key phrase kept coming up over and over, and seemed to stick in my mind:

Content is the conversation.

Part of the central offering of my company revolves around the tracking and storing of electronic documents (pieces of content). What those four words are saying is that the content that enterprises will soon want to manage is actually the conversation that revolves around those specific documents (an article, picture, file, blog post, etc.). Without saying, these content-pieces have become the central placeholders in what drive conversation.

I felt that is completely translatable to this blog. Conversation flows, for the most part, by means of a specific piece of content–a story, an experience, a verse, a quote, a video. Around the interwebs, we continue to hear buzzwords like community, collaboration, and connectivity. These drivers deliver some of the core messages that are central to our blogs.

We focus our conversations around the prestige of a conference, the namesake of a popular church, or the controversial themes of an upcoming book. As Christians, however, our central piece of content is and should be the Cross. All conversation flows because of it. Because the cross, we are…

…free.
…accepted.
…redeemed.
…drawn near.
…adopted as sons.

In today’s day and age, internet content changes by the day. Videos are becoming accessible. Podcasts can be streamed from across the country. Pictures can be emailed and downloaded within seconds across the world. The relevance of the internet and blogs is so different than it was 5 years ago.

What blows my mind, however, is that even 2000 years later the Cross is still relevant. It is still so divinely complex, yet incredibly simple. People are still being redeemed. Lives are still being renewed. Relationships are still being restored. Hearts are still being transformed. Today I am thankful that because of the cross, I am adopted as a son — no expectation of perfection, no struggle with complacency, no fear of failure, can separate me from His relentless love.

Fill in the blank: Because of the cross, I am ____________.

April 1, 2011

I love that question! When I first read it – I was ready to give my quick spiritual answer but stopped and thought. There are so many words that come to my mind.

Free
    Redeemed
    Alive
    Forgiven

I could go on.

I have been praying and struggling what to do Easter Morning. We do a Cantata and I only get about 10 minutes to share and I think I am now building a devotional/message around this question.

Thanks Dustin.

April 1, 2011

Awesome. Glad you liked it…and thanks for sharing your thoughts. Love how “the list could go on” for all of us…

• Jk Allen

April 1, 2011

…I am forgiven for my sins. I am forgiven for my imperfect nature, which I and all humans are born with.

Great work here Dustin. The entire time I could kind of feel where you were going. And when you got to the cross…I was like “preach brotha, preach!

Keep doing this great work, PLEASE!

April 1, 2011

lol, I’ll take it. Thanks for the kind words. I’m thankful I am forgiven as well!

Free.

Empowered.

Loved.

April 1, 2011

Love those 3. Thx for the comment, MP.

April 1, 2011

…given second chances and my salvation is possible.

Amen brother. Love this post! Great stuff Dustin!

April 1, 2011

Second chances… you get a wholehearted “YES” from me!

• Tom Raines

relentless…

saved, redeemed, forgiven, clean, in, free, His, one, filled,thankful…

• mo

Confident in my destiny!

April 1, 2011

Our little ones seem to have it right when they sing “He’s got the whole world in His hands…”, huh? :)

• mo

totally :)

Made new every day.

Wow. Great post, Dustin. Excited (and a little jealous) of your new job. Sounds exciting and engaging.

Way to connect the Cross, content, conversation and technology. You’ve got ninja skills.

April 1, 2011

Ninja skillz. (with a z) ;)

And yes, appreciative of the new job. Enjoy it a lot!

April 1, 2011

because of the cross I am filled with: the spirit of God, the same spirit that dwelled in Jesus, same power, same authority, same joy, same destiny.

Moe,

The SAME Holy Spirit that was there when our Father said, “Let there be light.” Yeah. Him. To this day, no temple, no building, no structure can contain such power. It is only the Temple that our Father has built using our flesh and muscle and blood as bricks and mortar that He has found as being a suitable residence, this side of Heaven, for His amazing Spirit.

I really do love that about Him.

April 1, 2011

In the words of Jk, “Preach, Brotha, Preach!”

• Sean Sabourin

Dustin,

Great post.

Because of the cross I am free!

April 1, 2011

Thanks, Sean. Always appreciate your comments!

• Justin

April 1, 2011

Loved. Unbound. Smothered in grace.

April 1, 2011

DJ Unbound, you have quite the way with words. Love “Smothered in grace”.

April 1, 2011

Fill in the blank: Because of the cross, I am ____________.

——————

…an adopted son with all the legal rights and authority of my Father.

I’ll let you now right now, Dustin, I am going to build on this post of yours using the f.a.r.d.a. truths you mentioned. This matters. This post here is relevant and is not a bunch of fluff and silliness. Your writing is becoming better and better, sir, and your son’s heart is showing.

April 1, 2011

Donald, appreciate those kind words. Means a lot.

“authority of my Father” – so true!

And, I’ll be waiting. Always enjoy your posts!

Free.

Made New.

Loved.

Great post bro!!

• @bibledude

April 1, 2011

Because of the cross, I am whole.

April 1, 2011

Me too, thanks for stopping by and commenting!

• Johon

April 1, 2011

Because of the cross, I am not a prisoner to sin, I am free to live for Christ, I am filled with the Holy Spirit.

April 1, 2011

John, yes-the chains are broken…we are free!

• Melissa Brotherton

Free.

What a great post, Dustin! :) I like serious Dustin just as much as silly Dustin. Just thought I’d mention that because I know sometimes my husband feels he must be silly because that’s what people expect of him. Both are great to read. :)

April 1, 2011

A lot of folks are grateful to be free. I like that. :)

And thanks! I agree–I like both silly and serious. Need to balance… :)

• Michelle

April 4, 2011

Because of the cross, I am His. I think content is really important. You can have a high tech blog with lots of great stuff, but the content is what really matters and will keep people coming back, or on the negative side, will drive people away. Great post Dustin.

April 4, 2011

Thanks michelle, i agree with you completely!

April 6, 2011

all I can say is, Amen Dustin. A-men!