Bless The Lord, O My Soul

There are songwriters/worship leaders who get it. And I believe Matt Redman gets it.

That said, I have always been a fan of Matt Redman.

When I lead worship in college at our campus ministry, I was drawn to his songs because I felt we had similar tones – it was just ‘easy’ for me to lead in the key he wrote his songs in.

Then I dug into the lyrics and read the stories behind his songs. There was a reason why his songs (The Heart of Worship, Better is One Day, Let Everything That Has Breath, Blessed Be Your Name, etc.) resonate with me–they are straightforward and speak to God’s character. As I listen, I’m constantly reminded that the focus is God, not us.

The latest that has been on repeat in my playlist is “10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord)”.

It has a modern, yet reverent feel to it. I hope it blesses you as it has me.

As you can see on the far right, this track has been on repeat!

It has reminded me that no matter the circumstance or situation, His name is to be praised.

“Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes.”

What song has been speaking to you lately?

January 5, 2012

Thanks for sharing this Dustin. I tend to not listen to Christian radio (I can’t stand commercials), plus much of it is fluff. I also like Matt’s music. It comes from his heart. This could easily become a replay for me.

January 7, 2012

You’re welcome Bill – as you can see from that screen grab… it’s been a replay for me as well :)

• moe

January 5, 2012

I remember reading one time something that struck me as so stinking good. He said that when we worship, the audience is God, not us. It seems that most of today’s music is to “stimulate” the church, therefore, they become the audience. Matt (if I’m remembering correctly) said that in His music, he tries to make it clear that God is the audience. He plays for an audience of one. Pretty darn good.

January 5, 2012

I heard or read him say something similar. He is def one of the best in the business.

January 7, 2012

Wouldn’t doubt it. If you haven’t read it before, and get a chance, read the story behind his “Heart of Worship” song. Awesome.

• Tom

January 5, 2012

Thanks for sharing Dustin! Worship well!

• Amy Nabors

January 5, 2012

I love this whole album. Not sure I could even pick a favorite.

January 7, 2012

You know.. I’ve been stuck on this one, but I’m with you – the whole album is great!

• Michael Perkins

January 5, 2012

That song was amazing. Thanks for sharing that.

• TMZ

January 5, 2012

Thanks for the heads-up on this new album. Listening to it now! Good stuff.

January 7, 2012

sweetness. you’re welcome!

January 5, 2012

My cousin just told me about his latest. Love this…definitely going to go check it out. I dig Matt…he sings/writes from the heart, and his songs are a reflection of that.

I’ve been listening to new Jesus Culture..digging it so far.

Other song: Jason Mraz-I Won’t Give Up on You…not speaking to me but just on repeat.

January 7, 2012

Do you have a favorite JC song/album?

January 5, 2012

This is a a great album. I have actually been listing to it a lot because I’m part of the “listener advisory board” at church, which is a really fun way for a person who loves music but isn’t musical to be involved with worship. Anyway, our worship Pastor sent us a few songs from this album and I love them, especially Bless the Lord, Never Once, and Here for You. My boys LOVE “We are the Free” and it really melts my heart to hear them sing “We are the free, the freedom generation, You are the One who set us all in motion, Yours is the glory”, while doing their crazy dances. LOL

I have heard that part of Matt Redman’s {or maybe that was Chris Tomlin?!} intent is to create modern hymns. I think this song in particular is one of those.

Side note: love the art on this album cover. My Dad says there are a bunch of YouTube videos where Matt explains the origin of the songs and the album art. I haven’t had a chance to watch them, but I should. :)

January 7, 2012

Great comment – thanks for taking the time, Keri. While my girls haven’t ‘danced’ to this one, they love dancing… may have to try it. :) I also love hearing about the heart behind why someone writes what he/she writes. Puts it into a whole new perspective!

• arny

January 9, 2012

My songs. lol…i’ve been recording them for a while now…so that’s all i’ve been listening to! lol…