Stonecreek Church Hosts “An Evening with John Eldredge”

I’ve read a few John Eldredge books – Wild at Heart, Waking the Dead, and Love & War. To be quite honest, Love & War was one of the best books on marriage I’ve ever read. It was insightful, practical and full of questions that spark conversation. I’ve gone through it in a small group setting (highly recommend!) and also personally by reading the book. If you want a book that challenges you at a personal level while giving granular advice that is very basic (in a good way!), I can’t say enough good things about that book.

On another note, I’ve excited to announce the church I attend and serve at is hosting an evening with John Eldredge next month. I’m excited to learn more about his new book, Beautiful Outlaw! If you happen to be in the area, I hope to see you there! (Details below.)

Stonecreek Church will host Beautiful Outlaw: An Evening with John Eldredge, Tuesday, October 11, 7 p.m. in the main auditorium. The event is the first stop in Eldredge’s four-city tour to celebrate the release of his new book.

Eldredge shares, “Beautiful Outlaw is a book I’ve just written about the personality of Jesus–His playful, disruptive, scandalous, dangerous, beautiful personality. There is nothing more that matters than Jesus; to have His life, His joy, His friendship, His love. To know Him is to have the greatest treasure in all worlds.”

Seating is limited and this event will sell out quickly. Tickets are $5 each. There is no childcare for this event.

Tickets for Stonecreek Church leaders and attendees may be purchased, here.

Tickets for the General Public may be purchased, here.

For more on Beautiful Outlaw, visit Ransomed Heart’s Web site, here.

Have you read an Eldredge book? If so, thoughts?

September 19, 2011

I listened to Wild at Heart on CD (or actually, it might have been a cassette tape) a long time ago. I thought it was good, but I tend to have a natural disposition to the idea that real men need to be hunters and get back in tune with their wild, hunter, grunting side. Other than that, I really liked it.

September 21, 2011

I agree with you, Jason – I’m a computer guy. I’d rather type and think creatively than hunt and fish. Nothing wrong with that. But, I think there is definitely adventure even in that… I suppose that’s how I interpret it.

Thanks for your thoughts!

September 19, 2011

I don’t think I’ve read any of his books. Maybe I’m not wild enough. Waiting for “Mild at Heart” to come out :)

September 21, 2011

Mild at Heart… I like that! :)

September 20, 2011

I tried to read Sacred Romance and had trouble. The writing style was so different. But Wild at Heart was different! I not only read it, I read it again. Then I took a group of men through the DVD series. I have since read it again and done the DVD series again. Even though I am not a hunter or fisherman (never have done either) the whole idea of “every man has a battle to fight, an adventure to live, and a beauty to rescue” resonated in me. I have Outlaw on pre-order. Looking forward to it and if I was anywhere close I would be there.

September 21, 2011

Resonated with me too, Bill. I’m the same way – not an outdoorsman, mountain climber, or catch bears with my bare hands. :)

September 20, 2011

I’ve never read any of his books…

I’ve seen them all at barns and noble…

But never read any of them…

I’m in a book club…which one would you recommend we all read together?

September 21, 2011

If it’s married couples, definitely Love and War. Highly recommend.

September 20, 2011

I have read several of his books and last year a group of men and I went through The Way of the Wild Heart. I loved Wild at Heart – I think every woman should read it to help them understand men. His writing have definitively had a positive effect on me personally and the ministry I am blessed to be part of.

September 21, 2011

Cool, good to hear! I’ve heard mixed feelings about WAH, but definitely see it as an important book to read.

September 21, 2011

Wild at Heart in some ways has helped me be a better parent to my son – it was the catalyst to my doing a Man card with him. Now it was not my favorite book but it did help me in broadening some thoughts.

September 20, 2011

Sure, I’ll take the drive down to ATL again, to attend this. (love my sarcasm?)

I have never read any of his books.

September 21, 2011

Just stay an extra few days… :)

• Tom

September 21, 2011

I have read wild at heart, and appreciate the recommendation on Love and War. Will add that to my list.
    Thanks!

• SethC

September 21, 2011

I read Wild at Heart, and was mildly impressed. Some of his other stuff is supposed to be much better, but I havent read anything else. This new one sounds good though.

September 22, 2011

Cool – similarly, I’ll be checking out the new one as well.

• Ryan

September 21, 2011

Looks like a great event. I read Wild at Heart a long time ago and learned a lot. I’ll have to check out the new books and hopefully can make the event. Thanks for letting us know.

• Rob

September 22, 2011

Thanks for the recommendation! I have only read Wild at Heart.

September 22, 2011

No prob, Rob. (See, like my rhyming abilities?)

September 22, 2011

I read “Captivating” by John and Stasi Eldredge. It wasn’t good for me. :( I’m not the typical girl, nor do I think like a typical girl. So, a lot of the info just wasn’t relevant for me and just frustrated me more than anything. I actually read it as part of a Bible study with a few other women. It wasn’t fun for me because they were all captivated by “Captivating”, which made me feel really not good about myself since I obviously wasn’t like them. But, that was a long time ago. I’ve since come to realize that it’s okay that I’m not like the typical girl. That’s part of who God made me to be. On that note, I know a lot of people have been touched by this book, and I think that’s great. It’s just not for me. I haven’t ever looked at any of his other books since that one. But, maybe I’ll look into them on your recommendation. :) I hope you get a lot out of the talk, Dustin.

September 23, 2011

Thanks Keri – I think that’s the important thing. These books aren’t Scripture. They’re just books. Some resonate more with others…. Thanks for sharing!

• jenn

September 24, 2011

Keri, I totally think we could be best friends if we lived near each other. I read Captivating also and I felt the same way. I read it on my own because so many women told me how wonderful it was and how it changed their lives so much. For me… not so much. I think it was for the same reasons you stated. I’m not a typical girl. Most men cry more than I do (really). But I think it’s wonderful that it helped so many other people.

• Sandy Sandmeyer

September 22, 2011

I read his wife’s “Captivating” which was the inspiration for my former blog name “Musings of a Captivating Woman”. I changed the name to “Uncompromising” which was inspired by the quote below it on my blog. Great book!

September 23, 2011

Cool. Thanks for the “backstory”! :)

• jenn

September 24, 2011

As I mentioned in reply to Keri, I did read Captivating, but I wasn’t that impressed by it. I haven’t read any of his other books so it is quite possible that I might like them if I did. I do remember that the men in my church did a Bible study on Wild At Heart several years ago and my (now ex) husband was part of that. I heard good things about the study, but nothing specific.

And speaking of marriage books (although you might not want to take marriage advice from a divorced woman – haha – bad joke, sorry) have you ever read any of Dr. Kevin Leman’s books? I think he has several marriage books, but one that I read as part of a small group thing was Sex Begins In the Kitchen. I like him because he’s funny as well as wise. My favorite of his books now (since I’m not married) is How To Make Your Kids Mind Without Losing Yours. It is the best parenting book that I have read. When I see people with really bratty kids, I just want to give them his book. But that might be kind of mean…