A View To Remember

Savannah River, Nov 2011

While we were in Savannah a couple weeks back, I was able to take a breathtaking picture on my phone of the river/downtown area. The view set against the water and clouds was something to remember. And I’m glad I was able to capture this moment with my wife.

I’ve experienced a few of these moments in my life: 1) driving through the Swiss Alps 10 years ago (still have a picture somewhere), 2) standing at the top of Mt. Toubkal in Morocco, 3) Skiing the back-bowls in Vail, and 4) kayaking down a local river with Jen last year.

It’s during these times when I’m reminded by God about how big and generous He is to us. Not just because of our circumstances, freedoms or possessions, but also for the enormously beautiful creation He’s blessed us with.

On top of that, I’m grateful that I have the opportunity to stop and be grateful.

Best view you’ve experienced? Better yet–do you have a picture to share?

26 Responses to “A View To Remember”

1. Arny November 18, 2011 at 11:19 am #

We stopped on the side of the road on the mountains of Wyoming…

I looked down…and oh man…

There was a rich navy blue lake down in the valley…it was surrounded by white, white, snow…

it took my breath away…

Amazing…

God is Amazing…

• Dustin November 18, 2011 at 11:08 pm #

Wow, sounds like a really cool experience. Even better is that you were ‘surprised’ by it. :)

2. Jon November 18, 2011 at 11:22 am #

When I went to Jamaica, there was just some amazing views to take in. I mean, it was just something, you had to soak in. Also, when I went to Guatemala…we went up these hills, and the view was breathtaking.

• Dustin November 18, 2011 at 11:06 pm #

Those are the best times… when you can just soak it in. Thanks for sharing, Jon.

3. JG November 18, 2011 at 12:52 pm #

Dude you should have seen the view in Guatemala. Mountains and volcanoes in the distance. A massive lake. I will be posting some pics next week when I finally get back to writing on my blog.

• Dustin November 18, 2011 at 11:05 pm #

Wow, I bet that was awesome. Can’t wait to see pictures and read more about your trip!

4. Moe November 18, 2011 at 1:33 pm #

Beautiful! I have a picture to share:

I have one more with me wearing mittens while baking cupcakes. But I’ll keep that one to myself.

• Dustin November 18, 2011 at 11:05 pm #

Yeah, you do that… we don’t want to see a picture of you just wearing mittens baking cupcakes.

And great picture – I must say, NYC is a pretty cool city.

5. TMZ November 18, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

Best view I’ve experienced probably comes from Calton Hill in Edinburgh, Scotland. Just an incredible overlook of the city and water in the distance. Will never forget that feeling of triumph and awe: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/JdmFxKziupoOETz04Uf_Dw?feat=directlink

• Dustin November 18, 2011 at 11:04 pm #

Cool picture. I love ‘city shots’ like that.

6. Tom November 18, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

Great remindee of God’s beauty and vastness! His wonders are there whether we are there or not.

• Dustin November 18, 2011 at 11:03 pm #

Vast, indeed. Thanks for the comment, Tom!

7. Ernie November 18, 2011 at 5:08 pm #

Not sure about the best view I’ve ever seen, but one that never gets old is when I walk outside at 5:45am to go to work. The sky is clear and the stars are shining bright. The fresh and crisp air adds a nice touch.

• Dustin November 18, 2011 at 11:03 pm #

I feel ya – that can be refreshing… a nice way to start out the day!

8. Nathan November 18, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

Beautiful shot man! @carrieduvall & I are actually headed to Savannah in a few weeks for our 9th anniverary! Where all did you and Jen go? Any places you’d recommend? We thought we’d just walk around and check out the historical sites – I hear that’s the way to go.

Wow, best view I’ve experienced… there are several, but the first one that came to mind is the one where I was standing on Alcatraz looking back at San Francisco & the Golden Gate bridge. This isn’t the best picture, but it was absolutely gorgeous there that day:

• Dustin November 18, 2011 at 11:02 pm #

Wow, and having those yellow flowers in the picture… that is a great shot.

We didn’t have much time to ‘tour’, but you can do a lot in the downtown area. Since it’s not that big, it’s easy to walk around and visit various parks, the river walk, and other sites. Enjoy your time! Make sure you go to River Street Sweets and get some of their pralines… amazing.

9. Keri November 19, 2011 at 12:21 pm #

Niiiiiiiice! Dustin, this is such a good point about God being generous to us, not because of anything we’ve done, just because of WHO He is. I’m reminded of Matthew 5:45, “for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.” He gives us good things, even though we are not deserving of it.

I live near Mt. Rainier, the most “topographically promiment point” in the U.S. Basically that means it’s a mountain you can see a whole lot of from the ground. It’s the mountain often seen in background in pics of Seattle.

It looms in the distance, and most days we can’t see too much of it because of the cloud cover in Seattle. But, on the clear days, she is STUNNINGLY beautiful. She is so big and grand. I never tire of the surprise of Mt. Rainier and the reminder of God’s constant presence, even when I can’t see Him.

• Dustin November 22, 2011 at 7:35 am #

what a great picture. that really is stunning. i’ve never been to seattle but imagine it to be gorgeous!

10. Cindy Holman November 19, 2011 at 5:42 pm #

Beautiful picture! I totally agree – I live in the same place that Keri does – the great Pacific Northwest with one of the most spectacular views anywhere – Mt. Rainier. I’ve also lived in Alaska and just went on another scenic cruise seeing the glaciers of the inside passage. I also LOVE the fall colors of the East Coast – lived in PA when our daughter was born and would love to go to New England sometime in the fall of the year. The Grand Canyon is another of my favorite wonders :)

• Dustin November 22, 2011 at 7:36 am #

yes! the grand canyon is one of those places where you stand there thinking to yourself, “really? i mean, really?” :-)

11. Jon Stolpe November 20, 2011 at 8:29 am #

It’s tough to narrow it down…

- The view of Paris from the top of the Eiffel Tower…
    - The view of the snow covered mountain peaks in July from the top of Mont Blanc in the French Alps.
    - The view of the sun setting over Cape Cod.
    - The many tropical views of Hawaii.

I’m so thankful for the beautiful world we live in!

• Dustin November 22, 2011 at 7:36 am #

Wow! All over the place. I’d love to see some pictures!

12. Jason Vana November 21, 2011 at 11:25 am #

The most memoral view I have was when I hiked up my first mountain on my second trip to Czech. I went up with 3 other guys, none of whom I knew before that trip, but one who became one of my closest friends and the youth pastor I work with when I take trips to Czech. It was a powerful time and God kept lavishing me with promises that I would make an impact in that country.

• Dustin November 22, 2011 at 7:37 am #

That’s awesome Jason – I can picture you hiking up the mountain, and then resting on the top with some friends, and being grateful for the vast landscape of city/metropolis you’re looking out to… thinking to yourself, “God, thank you for giving me a heart for these people.”

13. jbussell November 22, 2011 at 4:22 pm #

One of the best views I’ve seen was at a restaurant that sits on the Niger river in Segou, Mali. The sun sets over the river and makes for a great view for dinner.

• Dustin November 23, 2011 at 9:50 am #

Wow. Just the sound of it sounds amazing. :)