A Place Only You Can Go

Jen and I went to the NEEDTOBREATHE show at the Georgia Theater in Athens last night. Let’s just say that getting home past 1:30 AM and running on 4 hours of sleep is so worth it. The show was incredible! Other than not playing ‘Slumber’ (wha!?), each and every song they played was fantastic. The highlight for me was when they went from “The Reckoning” to U2′s “Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out Of” to “Stones Under Rushing Water”. The passion, the heart, the harmonizing vocals… certainly a stretch of time I wish I had on video.

For their encore, they played a couple songs up on the balcony/second level. One song I did catch on video was “A Place Only You Can Go” – a quiet, yet strong song with powerful lyrics. If you’re not familiar, here is a snippet of words from the middle of the song:

Take my notions and words to heart
This is the cry of a man
I can’t bring you fortune or noble life
But I’ll love you all I can

Oh I know this song won’t do
Enough to prove my love to you
In my heart you’ll always know
There is a place only love can go
There is a place only you can go

And the song (shot from my phone):

What was your first concert? Most recent concert?

40 Responses to “A Place Only You Can Go”

1. bill (cycleguy) November 16, 2011 at 9:54 am #

Let’s see. I am quite a bit older than you so the first concert was in about 1970-71 and was a J.D. Sumner and the Stamps Quartet. Also saw the Oaks long before they went country. I know. I know…long time ago. I can’t even think what my last one way. Maybe DeGarmo & Key? My last “secular” one was Three Dog Night in about 2003. Yeah, I’m old. :) I would love to see Stryper, or Tommy James or one of the arena rock bands.

• Dustin November 17, 2011 at 8:09 am #

Not gonna lie, Bill… Going way back with DeGarmo & Key. :) Did you know they were the first Christian group to have a video appear on MTV?

2. Jon November 16, 2011 at 10:30 am #

Dude, I am so jealous. This is like your second or third time seeing them live, right? Man, I have to catch one of their shows.

I can’t even remember the last concert I went to…I think it was a Hillsong United one…that one was really good.

• Dustin November 17, 2011 at 8:10 am #

Yup, second time. And to be jealousize you even more… probably going to get tickets today for a show they announced in ATL in Feb. :)

3. Arny November 16, 2011 at 11:30 am #

Wow…sounds like a great night…

We went to David Crowders Final tour…

it. was. awesome.

• Dustin November 17, 2011 at 8:10 am #

It was awesome, thanks Arny! Did you go to the tour recently? B/c isn’t that going on right now?

4. Ben Reed November 16, 2011 at 11:50 am #

I saw Needtobreathe when they came through Nashville. It was unbelievable.

My most recent was Mumford & Sons. In a word: epic. Especially when they brought Old Crowe Medicine Show on stage to sing Wagon Wheel with them.

Sorry…I’m a nerd.

• Dustin November 17, 2011 at 8:11 am #

Ahh, M&S would be awesome. Sigh no more was on repeat for a solid 3-straight-months when it first came out.

5. Jason November 16, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

First concert was The Hooters when I was 14. Last concert…the greatest band ever to record…Rush.

• Dustin November 17, 2011 at 8:13 am #

Greatest band? Hmm… you may have some naysayers there, Jason. I’ll agree with one thing, though: Neil Peart = top 3 drummer of all time.

6. Jason Vana November 16, 2011 at 12:33 pm #

I think my first concert was Jars of Clay. Or maybe Michael W. Smith. I can’t remember.

The last was a Delirious concert that featured David Crowder as an opening act. It was AWESOME!

• Dustin November 17, 2011 at 8:14 am #

You know…I saw delirious when I was in college, probably 7-8 years ago at a small venue in ATL and really, really loved it. I don’t even remembered who opened for them, but I’ve always been a fan.

7. Jon Stolpe November 16, 2011 at 12:48 pm #

I think one of my first concerts was Michael W. Smith and Steve Taylor, but now I’m dating myself.

Honestly, I’m not sure what my last concert was…maybe Newsboys, DC Talk, or Steven Curtis Chapman.

• Dustin November 17, 2011 at 8:20 am #

Well, all those last three are still going in on form or fashion, so you’d still be able to see them live if you wanted to. :)

8. Jim F November 16, 2011 at 1:36 pm #

My first concert was Amy Grant and they shot the video for the song “Wise up”. All my friends bought tickets from scalpers but I refused and went to the box office and ended up with front row seats and you get a quick glimpse of me and the later my watch in the video.

Casting Crowns was the last one – no real story with this one other than a great concert.

Good stuff!

• Dustin November 17, 2011 at 8:21 am #

Gasp! Jim… you’re famous!!

I think I saw you! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmW_JwJjaVg

• Jim F November 17, 2011 at 9:06 am #

I was going to post the video but did not want to toot my horn too loudly. If you go to the 3:00 mark you will see my watch and big head right off Amy’s hip.

• Dustin November 17, 2011 at 1:42 pm #

Like a said. You. Are. Famous!

9. TMZ November 16, 2011 at 2:05 pm #

Used to live near Athens last year and had a friend go to this concert last night. So jealous. Bet it was amazing.

My favorite concert was probably Winter Jam several years ago headlined by Steven Curtis Chapman and Jeremy Camp. Me and my friends stalked Jeremy Camp in his trailer afterward and he actually came out to talk to us. Such good times.

• Dustin November 17, 2011 at 8:22 am #

It was amazing! And it was packed & sold out.

Winter Jam? Cool. A buddy of mine played during that tour – b.reith… remember hearing him?

10. Moe November 16, 2011 at 3:11 pm #

You are going to laugh at me, but I have never been to a concert. Weird, since I’m always listening to music. I’m that crazy New Yorker with Red Beats on his ears 90% of the time. I’m not really sure why I’ve never gone to one. Pretty weird.

• Dustin November 17, 2011 at 8:23 am #

::laugh::

No, it’s okay. I’ll take you to a concert one day, Moe. We’ll mosh.

11. Keri November 16, 2011 at 3:33 pm #

I’m so glad you guys had a good time! They had a very similar set when they were in SeaTown. And, I was also bummed about “Slumber”! WTH!? But, I’m guessing they’re coming back to Seattle soon, and I will most certainly be there. Was it a smaller venue that you guys went to? When they were here, there were only about 150 people and it felt like a private concert-and that’s one of my favorite things about them.

I have no idea what my first concert was. Being the daughter of a musician, I was going to concerts as a baby. I have taken my children to concerts. Little Bubba went to Hillsong United at 3 weeks old. Sure, I may have risked his hearing, but it was worth it. LOL {We had earplugs for him}. Most recent concert for me was also NTB-my favorite band of all time!

• Dustin November 17, 2011 at 8:26 am #

Seriously, other than them not playing Slumber and the stank-nasty girl in front of us who had B.O.- the concert was perfect. Honestly, I was surprised they didn’t play Slumber b/c I figured that was one of their ‘popular’ songs from the new record.

The place wasn’t small, but it wasn’t big – it was at the Georgia Theatre (in Athens, GA… where Jen and I went to school). Interestingly enough, the place had a fire two years back that burned it to the ground (well, not to the ground, but left it unplayable) and they’ve recently re-rennovated and started playing again.

12. Alex Humphrey November 16, 2011 at 4:37 pm #

My first concert was for a friend of mine. But my first “real” concert was Five Iron Frenzy. At the time, they were my favorite band. I went with two really close friends and rocked the night away. It was the last time they would ever play in Dallas.

• Dustin November 17, 2011 at 8:27 am #

Ahh, FIF. I saw them back in the day. In high school I went through a Ska phase where I was all into the Supertones, FIF, and Insyderz…. and a bunch of other bands like that. Upbeats & Beatdowns is a great album.

13. Adam November 16, 2011 at 7:23 pm #

first concert I really remember going to was Petra. aww yah.. hard core.

and I havent been to a concert in like 10 years.. and i took Karen to see the Philadelphia Symphony :)

• Dustin November 17, 2011 at 8:27 am #

Can’t get much more hardcore than Petra. Beyond Belief was one of the first tapes I ever owned. :)

14. Luther November 16, 2011 at 7:52 pm #

I honestly cannot remember the first concert I went to….I am sure it was Country/Western or some sort of Southern Gospel. I have been to several Christian artists ” days ” at theme parks since then but they are all a blur…oh well

• Dustin November 17, 2011 at 8:28 am #

Those ‘big shows’ can be a blur sometimes…so much going on and so many people performing!

15. Luther Wesley November 16, 2011 at 7:53 pm #

Great…it left your picture again….sheesh

16. Ricky Anderson November 17, 2011 at 6:24 am #

My first concert was Carmen, and my most recent was Muse.

• Dustin November 17, 2011 at 8:30 am #

Muse- that would be cool.

I’ve been to like 3-4 Carman arena shows (Radically Saved, RIOT, The Standard). Oh, memories.

17. chris vonada November 17, 2011 at 6:55 am #

first concert… lol… it takes me back quite a ways… eeeks!!… maybe Jimmy Buffett. Most recent… I consider Sunday worship a concert of sorts so I would say last Sunday morning :)

18. Ryan Tate November 17, 2011 at 9:35 am #

Thanks for sharing Dustin. Love these guys. I’ve been to three of their shows and each one has been fantastic! I love their music and can’t wait till they come back to Ohio.

The first concert I went to was Steven Curtis Chapman back in 1992 – my latest concert was Hillsong United this past summer at the Alive festival in Ohio.

19. Bryan Thompson November 17, 2011 at 11:47 am #

I THINK my first concert was to see the old Christian group 4Him. Seriously. I remember it being a good show, though. It made me want to be a singer one day. The most recent concert I went to was a Desperation Band concert. But to be honest, I’m really bad at going to concerts. With small kids, it’s just so hard to find time, and most of the bands I love are REALLY expensive to get into. Am looking to get the wife and me tickets to see Jeff Dunham in March! Wish me luck on that.

• Dustin November 17, 2011 at 1:43 pm #

sweet – I think I’ve seen a couple Dunham videos… pretty funny dude.

20. rachelle December 28, 2011 at 9:27 am #

The first concert I went to was the Dave Matthews Band at Veteran’s Stadium in Philadelphia. I was in middle school, so I went with my mom. It was rainy, there were lots of people, and the Phillies played the night before… so there were a few mudslides. The stadium is no longer standing and I can recall so many details from that experience.. I would never have wanted a different first concert experience.

My last concert was Halloween weekend, my brother and I went to the 7 Tour. It was really awesome to go to a concert with my brother and see that he thoroughly enjoyed it. (our music tastes are drastically different)

I’m waiting for NEEDTOBREATHE to come my way on a date that I’ll actually be in town for! EVERYTIME they’ve been in PHL I was traveling to Pittsburgh to see my grandparents.