A Nudge Over the Edge

I started a local boot-camp on Monday morning. Yes, I had to get up at an ungodly hour (4:30!?!) to drive to a nearby church where  I was whipped for an hour. It was a mix of Tony Horton and running suicides. Needless to say, I’ve been sore almost immediately since then.

Photo credit: Peter Carwell (Creative Commons)

Truth be told, I was at a point in my ‘fitness’ where I wasn’t going anywhere. I wasn’t training and/or running consistently and felt liked I needed something to nudge me over the edge. I needed to develop this discipline in my life. I needed to cultivate a level of consistency with my fitness routine. It just wasn’t there.

And now here we are, two days later. By the time this post is published, I’ll have gone through day 2 and will be twice as sore.

But the good thing is that I am sore. My body is being challenged; it is being stretched.

(And in a month, I’ll look like a 1970 Schwarzenegger when he won Mr. Olympia for the first time… right? Right? That’s what they promised me, right?)

While I can’t expect immediate results, I can look to consistent hard-work and discipline to get to a place where I want to be.

As with many things in my life (prayer, bible study, accountability, etc), there are times when a little nudge in the right direction proves to be the one thing we need.

In what area to you need a ‘nudge’ in?
Have you ever done a boot-camp?

February 15, 2012

Dang! How did Arnold’s head get on my body? Good for you Dustin. Get the good thing started now while you are young.

February 15, 2012

I know, I know … I nearly said the same thing! :)

February 15, 2012

God has nudged me with some spiritual things recently that I am doing – not easy but best.

I went through boot camp with the US Army in 1986 at Fort Dix New Jersey – it certainly was a time that I have not forgotten!

Keep up the good work!

February 15, 2012

Thanks Jim, didn’t know you were in the army. Thanks for your service!

• arny

February 15, 2012

Ha! never done boot camp….i know better.

I need a nudge to finlay finish our record…i got that nudge the other day from my band mate…it was funny…

• Tom

February 15, 2012

A. I have not done a bootcamp
    B. That is a bit more than a nudge in my book!
    C. Yes I need a nudge to put a plan on paper for what I think God wants me to do…to give some concreteness…doing the real workout

Hope you had a great workout today!! I have enjoyed running the trails again recently! But bootcamp? Best wishes!

February 15, 2012

Ha, thanks for the encouragement Tom. Day 2 went well. Now… not only are my arms sore, but my legs are like jello as well!

• moe

February 15, 2012

Writing. I have slacked off recently. I needed a nudge and I think I got it last night (no, not that silly).

I bet by the time I end up in ATL next time, You’ll be sporting some 48 inch pythons as arms.

February 15, 2012

I don’t remember you writing about a nudge….. thought it was like a makeout sesh? Oh wait….

• moe

February 16, 2012

Experts say that you see what you “enjoy” sickos saw makeout sesh, normal folks saw nudge. :)

• Thomas Mason

February 15, 2012

I need a huge nudge in the prayer/praying category.

I did a bootcamp over a year ago with The Y. I’m actually alive to tell about it!

February 15, 2012

Awesome… Hope to be alive in a month as well. Well, that’s the plan at least!

• Marlee

February 15, 2012

One word. Crazy. 4:30 am!?!?! Bootcamp?!?!?! That’s just wrong on so many levels, but I know you’ll be so glad you committed to it in the end.

February 15, 2012

Yeah I know… for one, 4:30 is way too early for me. I’m like a walking Zombie. Secondly… no wait, that is reason alone to cause me to be in a bad mood. :)

• Ally Garner

February 15, 2012

I love bootcamps! I’ve done 3 and will likely do another this summer. As you’re learning being in shape & being in “running shape” are 2 very different things. Your body will thank you for this in the end. Good on ‘ya – Keep it up!

Btw, if you like your bootcamp, you should check out CrossFit! A friend of mine (UGA grad & Christ follower) owns the CrossFit in Smyrna. Let me know if you want the info for his gym.

February 15, 2012

Yeah, send it my way. My office is actually only minutes from Smyrna. I know people who’ve done it and rave about it.

That’s funny you mention in shape vs running shape – I know exactly what you mean.

February 15, 2012

I’ve never done a boot camp before, but would love to! I have been pretty good at working out consistently lately. Not so much this week, because I’ve been staying up way late getting projects done and my evenings have been full of meetings. Hoping to get up early tomorrow to lift again.

February 15, 2012

Lift it up! It’s only been 2-days in for me, but I can already feel the burn. :)

• rachelle

February 15, 2012

my writing/Bible studying needs a severe nudge. I remember the band camp I attended every summer was the closest thing to bootcamp. 90+ heat & standing on black top all day was awful.

best wishes to you at bootcamp!

February 17, 2012

that IS a bootcamp if I were to say so. :)

• Stephen Haggerty

February 15, 2012

Wow.. Props for putting yourself through something like a boot camp! Takes some serious tenacity to commit to something like that. I agree that little nudge like that sometimes help us get over the hump and get the job done.

February 17, 2012

Thanks, Stephen – I appreciate the encouragement!

• Ryan Tate

February 16, 2012

No, I’ve never done a “boot camp.” But, I need a major nudge in the workout department right now. A lot of things are going to be changing around my household in the next few weeks and we will be able to re-create rhythms and start new ones. Working out has to be a priority for me.

February 17, 2012

Creating a rhythm… yes, I like how you put that. You can do it, Ryan!

February 16, 2012

I’m with Moe…I need a nudge in the writing area. It’s been challenging to get inspired lately…need get back in to that groove.

February 17, 2012

Whats the latest on the book?

February 17, 2012

I needed a nudge in my writing and bad sleep habits. I need to go to bed at a decent hour so that I can get up early to write before heading to the gym/work.

Props to Moe for being transparent. Go #3AMcreative