A Mighty Fortress Is Our God

A Mighty Fortress Is Our God

A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing;
Our helper, He, amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing:
For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe;
His craft and power are great, and, armed with cruel hate,
On earth is not his equal.

Did we in our strength confide, our striving would be losing;
Were not the right Man on our side, the Man of God’s own choosing:
Dost ask who that may be? Christ Jesus, it is He;
Lord Sabaoth, His Name, from age to age the same,
And He must win the battle.

And though this world, with devils filled, should threaten to undo us,
We will not fear, for God hath willed His truth to triumph through us:
The Prince of Darkness grim, we tremble not for him;
His rage we can endure, for lo, his doom is sure,
One little word shall fell him.

That word above all earthly powers, no thanks to them, abideth;
The Spirit and the gifts are ours through Him Who with us sideth:
Let goods and kindred go, this mortal life also;
The body they may kill: God’s truth abideth still,
His kingdom is forever.

Words and Music by Martin Luther
A.D. 1529

I love to listen to hymns from time to time. The words are strong, moving, and full of meaning.

Do you have a favorite? Do you prefer traditional or modern?

Amen. Love it.
    I was brought up Baptist so I know hymns. I am now non-denominational, and we will throw some hymns in every now and them and it takes me back. I love them though. There is something about old hymns when played with just a piano or organ that the words of the song gets more attention.

March 22, 2011

absolutely, gets my attention as well!

D,

Love this. Such a great way to start off this Monday! Thank you!

March 21, 2011

As to the question and comment about hymns, I have found that “Amazing Grace”, for an example, has more theology and meaning than any of the newer stuff.

The newer stuff tends to be more feminine in its approach, and centered on us and not Him. Like, worship is about how we “feel about God”, and not the character and Holiness that is His alone.

I love many of the “old hymns”. I think every son should take the time to listen to them and drink of their richness, at least one time. You’ll not look at worship the same, I guarantee it.

March 22, 2011

I don’t think I could ever get tired of listening to Amazing Grace. So simple, yet so impactful.

Right?!

When it is played by bagpipes at funerals, it chokes me up something fierce.

• Jay Cookingham

March 21, 2011

Amazing Grace and It is Well…get me every time!

March 22, 2011

Looks like a lot of folks like AG :)

March 21, 2011

I’m not a huge fan of hymns, but my favorite is All Creatures. Very powerful.

March 22, 2011

Heard the David Crowder version? Like it!

• Marlee

Hey Dustin,
    I actually can’t remember ANY hymns from church (except Amazing Grace). I was raised Catholic (but I attend a non-denominational church now) and we sang a ton of hymns, but they never resonated with me.

I do love the contemporary stuff though. I listen to it all day sometimes because it just sets the right tone for my spirit. Music is so powerful and I think it’s a great way to integrate meditating on the Word into your everyday experience.

March 22, 2011

Music is great! Anything that will make you think… just contemplate on the words (not just the words, but the meaning and focus) works in my book. :)

March 21, 2011

While I am a fan of a lot of modern worship music sometimes nothing beats a good old fashion hymn like this one.

Thank you for sharing.

March 21, 2011

I love the old school hymns. I’m definitely a modern worship kind of guy but I always appreciate when these get pulled out on occasion. The lyrics are so rich and full of truth. It’s beautiful.

March 22, 2011

Me too – I’m a mix-it-up kinda guy. Prefer modern on a regular, but LOVE when an old schooler is thrown into the mix.

March 21, 2011

I love both styles. I think if you only sing/listen to modern you miss out on some beautiful lyrics and songs and if you sing listen to only traditional you too lose out on some beautiful lyrics and song. It is a balance in my life.

I have been out and got back and read your comment on my blog and then came here and when I read this – I smiled and understood even more.

March 22, 2011

Me too, Jim. I smiled. :)

March 21, 2011

Hymns are what worship songs want to be when they grow up – full of meaning and incomparable word choice. Yes, I like a good worship song, too, but hymns, like poetry, seem to convey more meaning to me when I need a word.

• Bryan Thompson

March 21, 2011

What worship songs want to be when they grow up! – I LOVE that! That’s AWESOME!

March 22, 2011

Ha, agree with Bryan- what an appropriate description. :)

March 21, 2011

I like both styles. If songs have meaning, it doesn’t matter when they were written. One of my favorite hymns has to be How Great Thou Art; there is just something about that one that gets me every time. “It is Well With My Soul” is another one; the story behind it is so powerful.

March 22, 2011

Have you heard Shane and Shane sing It Is Well…? Wow.

March 23, 2011

Yes! Love Shane and Shane. Awesome version!

March 21, 2011

For years all I knew were hymns until I began listening to the modern worship music. Occasionally I will listen to one or we might even sing one as our mix. My favorite? Great Is Thy Faithfulness (although I don’t know what to do with the “thy”). For a Communion time I like “When I Survey the Wondrous Cross.”

March 22, 2011

Yeah I love “When I survey…” as well. I remember Matt Redman (I think) doing a version of that a while back and really liking it.

• Sean Sabourin

March 21, 2011

I love hymns. I was raised in a Presbyterian church until I was about 15 and then walked away from the church. My favorite hymn would have to be “It Is Well With My Soul.” It was my moms favorite hymn and we were able to sing this song around her while she went to be in the Presence of the Lord. She passed away in 2007 of cancer.

March 22, 2011

Wow, thanks for sharing Sean. That is a special moment, and now you have the song to bring you back to the times you had with her. Thanks again for the comment.

March 21, 2011

I appreciate the occasional modern worship, but it does feel like they are missing that “oomph”. I enjoy Amazing Grace and “At the Cross”. Those are deep, spiritual and faith-filled hymns.

• Justin

March 21, 2011

Love old hymns! Specifically the old gospel hymns performed by original southern blues artists. For me, it doesn’t get any better than that.

March 22, 2011

… hopefully with a little raspy-flavor in their voices!

March 21, 2011

All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name. Powerful lyrics, classic hymn, done a bit more modern. Enjoy.

• jay sauser

March 21, 2011

this one is one of the best ones!

March 22, 2011

sweet. thanks for the comment, jay.

March 21, 2011

Is “it is well with my soul” considered a hymn? If so, money.

Straight cash, homey.

Ben,

Did you know that hymn was written by a guy who had lost his entire family when the boat they were on sunk enroute from the US to England back in the 1800’s?

As the man left the US to go to England, (originally his family was to go first and then he was to reunite with them there), and the boat he was on was passing over the spot where his family died, it is said he broke down and wrote this song. Hence, the line:
      “When sorrows like sea billows roll…”

Pretty amazing, isn’t it?

March 23, 2011

Have you seen the movie behind it? Always wanted to check it out.

• Bryan Thompson

March 21, 2011

Okay, I’ll give you the hymn. THIS time. :) Seriously, Martin Luther said ’em better than just about anyone! :)

March 22, 2011

okay, just this one time…k? :)

It is Well With My Soul.

Especially this verse:
    My sin, oh the bliss of this glorious thought,
    My sin, not in part but in whole,
    Is nailed to the cross and I bear it no more.
    Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord,
    Oh my soul!

March 22, 2011

YES! Love that matt. thanks for sharing.

• Sandy Sandmeyer

March 22, 2011

I prefer modern music in my church, growing up with traditional, but my favorite hymn is “It Is Well”. The last verse is so exciting, “And, Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight.” I can’t wait!

1. When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
    when sorrows like sea billows roll;
    whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say,
    It is well, it is well with my soul.
    Refrain:
    It is well with my soul,
    it is well, it is well with my soul.

2. Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
    let this blest assurance control,
    that Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
    and hath shed his own blood for my soul.
    (Refrain)

3. My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
    My sin, not in part but the whole,
    is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
    praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
    (Refrain)

4. And, Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
    the clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
    the trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
    even so, it is well with my soul.
    (Refrain)

March 22, 2011

Sandy, I can’t argue with that. Seems like It Is Well is quite the favorite. :)

• HealingLeaf

March 22, 2011

I just love music (I am a musician – so it is a daily necessity)!
    It is hard to pick ‘old’ or ‘new’, but here are 3 of my all time favorites (hope you enjoy – just youtube video links)
    “It is Well” (I see many agree with me – they should definitely check this youtube video out – I used it as a post I loved it so much)

and “Come Thou Fount” (love the words)

and “In Christ Alone” (old song, done by new artist – Owl City)

Did I mention I love music? I love God more, and so to be able to combine those 2 loves = very big love!

March 22, 2011

wow thanks for sharing. come thou fount is one of my favorites. “Praise the mount, I’m fixed upon it,
      Mount of Thy redeeming love!”

March 22, 2011

“In Christ Alone”…great call, HL!

That one always gives me goose-bumps. In a good way, mind you. :)

• mo

March 23, 2011

I didn’t grow up in the church, so I pretty much know zero hymns. Made leading worship kind of interesting sometimes :)

• Michelle

March 23, 2011

I love hymns. I like them because no one really paid them to write them…they just did it for the love of God, unlike most of todays music. So I definitely like the old stuff for that reason. However, I do like some of the more modern hymns too. That’s a great one you just posted!

March 24, 2011

that is a great take (on maybe the motive behind writing) thanks for sharing, michelle.

• Chris

March 24, 2011

Some of my favorite old ones are Amazing Grace, Blessed Assurance, My Hope is Built and Rock of Ages.
    I like traditional, a few years back the Band 4 Him put out a CD of old Hyms that I really enjoyed and still listen to.
    I do like Hillsong for newer music, but seems to always go back to the standards. My other love is Southern Gospel.

March 24, 2011

Blessed assurance… yes, what a great hymn!

• Lizzie

March 24, 2011

Thanks so much for sharing this-it’s great!

I love the beautiful, powerful lyrics in hymns as well. One of my favorites is In Christ Alone. Strangely though, I prefer modern music to hymns. I guess because when I’m praising, I want to know exactly what I’m saying. Hymns take a little more thought to understand their meaning. But I love a good hymn now and again!

March 25, 2011

Sweet! No problem at all. Thanks for your comment.

March 26, 2011

I love a good hymn.

I was talking with a friend the other day (a brother in Christ) and as we discussed hymns vs contemporary Christian music we finally realized what bothered us about contemporary music: it is almost entirely emotionally focused.

Sometimes scripture is used (many times out of context) but unlike the hymns, the doctrines of the faith and the proclamation of who God is tends to be missing from contemporary Christian music (not across the board, but often enough to be noticeable).

It was a sad state and now when I listen to Christian music it’s something I can’t get out of my head.

To answer your question my favorite Hymn is either “Amazing Grace” or “It is well with my soul”. Both open me up to the deeper love of Christ. That being said, I have heard traditional and modern versions of these songs and I don’t particularly have a preference. It just depends on my mood at the moment. lol

• dustin

March 26, 2011

“It just depends on my mood” — totally understand. :)

I enjoyed reading your comment, Alex. For me, one of the things about hymns that I really enjoy and appreciate is that they naturally cause me to focus more intently on the words/meanings. Oftentimes they are richer and don’t use your common, everyday language so there is a powerfulness to them as well.

• Jk Allen

March 26, 2011

Hey Dustin – first timer here! I’ve seen your gravatar around a few times and figured I’d stop by, introduce myself and check out some of your work. With that say, I’m Jk, nice to meet you Dustin (oh my that felt cheesy, please forgive that!)

Thanks for sharing this Hymn. I’ve never listened to them I don’t think. But this one was beautiful. Got me ready and in the mood to whoreish!

Take care Dustin – I’ll see them around for sure.

March 28, 2011

awesome, thanks for stopping by Jk!

• Randy Kinnick

March 27, 2011

Love the contemporary worship music that we have today, but I also love the depth and majesty of the old hymns. They teach such deep theological truth. It is great to have a blend. The Geddy’s seem to have revived hymnody with their compositions of recent years. I can usually worship through almost any style of music. I wrote a post about the subject…

• Randy Kinnick

March 27, 2011

btw…one of my favorites hymns is “It Is Well”

March 28, 2011

great, thanks for sharing that link Randy.

• Noah Lomax

March 31, 2011

I absolutely love, “And Can It Be?” by Charles Wesley, 1738.

And can it be that I should gain
    An interest in the Savior’s blood?
    Died He for me, who caused His pain—
    For me, who Him to death pursued?
    Amazing love! How can it be,
    That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
    Amazing love! How can it be,
    That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

April 1, 2011

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing. I’m guessing the more modern tune (sung by Tomlin) is taken from that hymn?

• Noah Lomax

April 1, 2011

It certainly seems like that could be an influence, but I guess you would have to ask Chris! The beauty of that hymn is that the verses tell the story of conversion–the grace of God entering into our lives! How blessed we are!

April 2, 2011

Love it. Thanks for commenting, Noah.

• Mark

April 1, 2011

How about from “For All the Saints Who From Their Labors Rest”:

And when the fight is fierce the battle long,
    Steals on the ear the distant triumph song,
    And hearts are brave again and arms are strong.
    Alleluia, Alleluia!

But lo, there breaks a yet more glorious day:
    The saints triumphant rise in bright array;
    The King of Glory passes on His way.
    Alleluia, Alleluia!

Or “My Hope is Built on Nothing Less”:

My hope is built on nothing less
    Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
    No merit of my own I claim
    But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.
    On Christ the solid rock I stand:
    All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness veils His lovely face,
    I rest on His unchanging grace;
    In every high and storm gale
    My anchor holds with-in the veil.
    On Christ the solid rock I stand:
    All other ground is sinking sand.

His oath, His convenant and blood
    Support me in the raging flood;
    When every earthly prop gives way,
    He then is all my hope and stay.
    On Christ the solid rock I stand:
    All other ground is sinking sand.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
    Oh, may I then in Him be found
    Clothed in His righteousness alone,
    Redeemed to stand before His throne!
    On Christ the solid rock I stand:
    All other ground is sinking sand.

April 1, 2011

Mark, thanks for stopping by. I’m not familiar with “For All the Saints Who From Their Labors Rest”. I like it!