6 Quick Updates from My New Coffee Spot

First off, I’m sorry that I have neglected this blog over the last month. Sorry! Life has continued non-stop and I’ve had to step back and hit pause on a few things. Now that things have somewhat settled down… I wanted to give you a quick update on me and the family.

1. My new coffee joint. A couple miles from the office = the perfect lunch-break retreat! I’ve wrote about Land of a Thousand Hills coffee and praised their joyous blends and roasted goodness. They have a nice set-up in the Vinings area that overlooks the Chattahoochee River. It couples nicely with a smooth pour-over or pressed cup of Joe. Thanks to my buddy Youngsang for telling me to come! (Btw, the picture is lovely, right?)

2. Our house is on the market. Those on FB and Twitter probably know, but we ‘moved out’ of the house Memorial Day weekend. In the course of 5 days, we packed up and U-Haul’d it out of there! Mixed with sadness and excitedness, we moved into my parents’ basement while the house sells… and for the next season of life. Knowing that we’re taking a pretty big hit on the house, we’ll need to hang tight for a little while to re-save back up. Big plus: we’re less than 4 miles from Ben’s gang. Big win! But, lastly, please say a prayer for us that everything moves quickly and everyone stays adjusted nicely in the new digs!

3. Family vacation. Our family vacays over the last few years have all been car-trips (beach, nearby mountains, reunions, etc.). But this year, we’re going large! A couple weeks back, we got tickets for the whole family to visit my family out in sunny Southern California. So, come early October – we’ll be chowing down In-n-Outs, sun-bathing on Huntington Beach, and visiting family from LA to San Diego. But first, Harper and I are going out there next week for a wedding. Holla!

4. Work is going great. Have a couple trips planned (DC, NYC/Boston) and busy as always… and couldn’t ask for a better place to be at right now. A year and a half ago, when I made the job-switch I was anxious and expectant – now, 17 months later I am grateful for the place that God has put me in… for the growth-opportunities, work-flexibility, and overall satisfaction. On top of working full-time, I’m planning on starting my Masters this fall. ‘Bout to get cray cray up in here!

5. A little running. While Jen has been running more recently (ran the Nashville half a couple months ago), we’ve just now started to run/train together as we have a couple races on the horizon. We are going to run the inaugural Area 13.1 locally here in Roswell, GA. Pretty cool – it’s a ‘night race’ that starts at 6:30 PM. Also in October, while in California, we’re going to hit up the Long Beach half-marathon. Pretty stoked about that!

6. Family, family, family. Jen is holding down the fort at home: prepping for home-schooling the kiddos (mainly Sophia’s preschool in the fall), being the ideal support-partner to me, and connecting with other moms/friends on a regular basis. Sophia and Olivia will be in the same ballet class this fall. Harper is on the verge of walking all the time (no rush, though!).

I promise the next post will come sooner than 4-weeks out… Thanks for bearing with me!

What’s new with you? What’s on deck with your family this fall?

18 Responses to “6 Quick Updates from My New Coffee Spot”

1. Ben July 5, 2012 at 12:50 pm #

Less than 4 miles away is always a #win!

Also, that place is so dope, there’s a cool nifty little trail off to the right of there that our kids always love walking, plus you can climb a big rock and stuff.

• Dustin July 6, 2012 at 9:25 am #

sweet, and stuff! will check it out.

2. Young July 5, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

I’m glad my suggestion is coming into some good use. It’s really awesome to hear about the upcoming things happening in your life. Really excited!

• Dustin July 6, 2012 at 9:25 am #

i can always count on you, my buddy.

3. Scotty July 5, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

PLUS……FANTASY FOOTBALL IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!!!!!!!!

• Dustin July 6, 2012 at 9:26 am #

(now you just need to respond to my emails!)

4. bill (cycleguy) July 5, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

Didn’t you use to be…? Hey hey my friend! it sure is good to hear from you again. Sounds like life has been full. Did not know you were trying to sell your house. What is the next season of life? Since I am not on FB or Twitter, I must be missing something. Don’t wait so long next time.

• Dustin July 6, 2012 at 9:26 am #

Thanks, Bill – nothing out of the ordinary… Just that we were outgrowing our space. And need more room! :)

5. ThatGuyKC July 5, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

Welcome back! I thought your blog died or something. Glad to see you in the blogosphere again.

I hope you all enjoy the trip to SoCal. Good luck with the munchkins on the plane.

Beautiful coffee spot. Gotta say I’m a little jealous.

• Dustin July 6, 2012 at 9:27 am #

Died!? Never! Thanks for the encouragement, KC.

6. Joseph July 5, 2012 at 9:07 pm #

It’s awesome to hear that everything is going great for you guys! I love this pic and it looks like a wonderful place. I’m hoping the wife and I can get in to the whole running thing soon. When it comes to selling the house my best advice to give is PRAY, PRAY, and PRAY.

Quickly, we sold a house two 2.5 years ago in the middle of the worst time. I got a call on a saturday that our agent was going to be there in one hour to show the house to possible buyers. Our agent couldn’t come but said for us to let them check the house out and just step outside. I hurried and straightened up as they were suppose to be there at 5 pm. 5 came, 5:30 came, 6 o’clock came. Nobody showed up. I called our agent to check on them. That’s when she hit me with the line. “What do you mean they never showed up? I have a offer in my hand for very close to asking price.” She called them and they said that they didn’t need to see the inside of the house. They wanted it. WOW! Only God. I trace all this back to when I was cleaning up after the call. I was standing over the dirty close hamper and I simply said “God, if it’s your will for this house to sell let this be the time”. They bought our house after several people including “The top agent in the area” telling us we wouldn’t be able to sell it. With God everything is possible. Praying that God does his perfect work in your life at his time.

• Dustin July 6, 2012 at 9:28 am #

Joseph, that is great. Thanks for the words right there. Love hearing that!

7. Moe July 5, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

Who are you? :)

It looks like life is getting busy for you! Good for you, Jen and the girls. It looks like good busy and I’m sure things will work out just fine.

Hope to see you at the end of the month and NYC of course. I got the limo rented already! We’re painting the town “Valencia”!!

• Dustin July 6, 2012 at 9:30 am #

Hi, my name is Dustin Valencia. You killed my father…

And yes… Need to wrap my head around a “Moe twice in a few months” thing… going to be ridiculous! :)

8. JBussell July 6, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

Sounds like you guys have been and will continue to be busy. We are headed to SoCal as well. It will our first trip there as we are going to San Diego on vacation!

• Dustin July 9, 2012 at 10:26 am #

Niiiice! Just going because? Or family? Either way… enjoy it!!

9. morgan September 1, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

for some reason i’ve gotten e-mails from your blog and i had no clue why for a while. i finally clicked around and it landed me here..a blog about dads. my husband patrick kekoa and i (living & in ministry in atlanta) will have been married for 2 years next months..we dont have kids yet, but we talk about parenting a lot..i know that was random, but i am going to pass this blog along to him, i think he will appreciate it, even though we don’t have kids yet! God bless!

• Dustin February 19, 2013 at 8:50 am #

morgan- thanks for stopping by. where in ATL? thanks for the comment!