3 Lessons from The Carrot Seed

The Carrot Seed

Sophia received a copy of The Carrot Seed for her 4th birthday last week. I’m not up to speed on classic children’s books, but my wife is. Apparently this 1945 piece of literature by Ruth Krauss is the cream of the crop when it comes to children’s picture books. Let’s just say I cannot disagree with that.

It chronicles the tale of a small boy who plants a carrot seed and, despite others’ telling him “it won’t come up”, sees it sprout into a spectacular, award-winning carrot.

It’s short, uncomplicated and undeniably straightforward.

It’s the perfect book for a four-year old!

As I’ve read the book with my girls this past week, three specific and distinct lessons are conveyed:

1. Simplicity. You can read the book in less than 5 minutes. It’s short and to the point; yet, the lessons conveyed are deep and meaningful. Sometimes we try to over-analyze and lead with the mindset of information-overload (“got to make sure all bases are covered!”), but in the end, a simple phrase can resonate and speak to a person in a much more powerful way.

2. Conviction. The little boy’s faith is steadfast. Even with his parents and older brother opposing his ‘mission’, he remained true to his belief that the carrot would one day sprout. How often do we allow our dreams to be discouraged by a naysayer, or forsake our conviction in what is right for the pleasure in the moment?

3. Persistence. When the possibility of doubt crept in, the boy did not give up. He pressed on in the face of adversity by remaining faithful. The book said that he “pulled up the weeds around it every day and sprinkled the ground with water”. What weeds need pulling and ground needs watering in our lives?

Books like The Pursuit of God, Radical, and The Ragamuffin Gospel are great, but sometimes God uses the simplest of of stories to touch our hearts.

What is your favorite children’s book? What do you like about it?

October 21, 2011

Are you my mother? Dr. sues…

And Oh the wonderful places you’ll go! Dr. Sues…

October 21, 2011

Also…my mom used to read a lot of Amelia Badelia too! lol…

Till I got cool and read comic books! lol…

October 21, 2011

Nothing wrong with Comic Books. Did you have a favorite?

October 21, 2011

Just read Are You My Mother last night! Loved that as a kid (and now).

• Larry Hehn

October 21, 2011

Wow, I had never heard of The Carrot Seed before. It sounds great!

One of my favorites is Max Lucado’s You Are Special. It always makes my eyes leak.

October 21, 2011

Nice! I didn’t know Lucado wrote a kids book. Thanks for sharing.

October 21, 2011

My favorite book was (and to some extent still is) Charlie and the chocolate factory. It’s a great story, but also, it has ethical implications. What do we do with what is given to us. Charlie always obeyed and he ended up winning more than a trip to a chocolate factory, He ended up inheriting the actual factory. Hmm, that sounds very familiar. Obedience, faith, inheritance. I just can’t put my finger on it.

Brains!!!

October 21, 2011

“Oh, one more thing. I am convinced that every art (music, movie, photography, literature, paintings, etc) have a bit of the Gospel message. The arts are the way for our souls to speak, and we all have eternity deep inside our souls.”

and our soul seeks these things OUT in the arts…with out even knowing!…just gotta tap in…lol…

it’s what I do! lol..

October 21, 2011

Oh yeah! You get me. You are an artist and you so understand!

October 21, 2011

Arny the Artist. New stagename. Take it & run with it. You’re welcome.

(btw, http://www.arnytheartist.com is available)

October 22, 2011

Wow….that does have a nice ring to it!

October 21, 2011

Great comment. Willy Wonka is classic. Actually…. I was thinking of it just this week b/c I’m working on a post about a poem that Mr Wonka references in the movie. :)

Classic > Remake
      (every day of the week)

Oh, Brains. LOL!

October 21, 2011

Classics are always better than remakes. Everybody knows that!

October 21, 2011

Sorry boys, that movie totally freaks me out. Me no likey!

• Ryan Tate

October 21, 2011

So true Moe. Every story is rooted in the greatest Story of all time. That’s why people love movies and stories so much. They are compelling and captivating – just like the gospel.

• Ben Reed

October 21, 2011

My favorite growing up was “Where the Wild Things Are.” I loved it.

October 21, 2011

I was a huge Hardy Boys fan. In fact, my family still has some of the books at their house. My bro and I would read them (or have them read to us) almost every night.

October 21, 2011

I LOVE “Where the Red Fern Grows” about a boy and his two hunting pups. Great story – very sad at the end though.

October 21, 2011

I think I shed a few tears when I was younger as I read that book. :)

• Ryan Tate

October 21, 2011

My favorite children’s book is the Jesus Storybook Bible – I know it’s a technically a bible, but it rocks! It tells the narratives perfectly and weaves the thread of Jesus and his rescue from Adam and Eve, through David and Goliath, all the way to the cross and the re-creation. I think I like it more than my 4 year old.

Is this a #jesusjuke? LOL

October 21, 2011

Been a long time since I read any children’s books so I will have to say “any my grandson likes at the moment.” :) Sorry haven’t commented Dustin. Was at theSticks for the week and came back to over 125 posts. Hope you are doing well and feeling refreshed.

October 24, 2011

Thanks, Bill. Glad you had a good time at the conference!

October 21, 2011

I loooooove good children’s literature. I have never heard of this one. Right now, the boys and I absolutely love anything by Mo Willems. They’re mostly stories about friendship and what it means to be a friend. If you haven’t read these to your girls, I promise you will love them. I find myself pulling Willems off the shelf as often as I can. Our fav: Pigs Make Me Sneeze.

I’m certainly guilty of over analyzing, especially with regard to how I live out my faith. If I’m led by the Holy Spirit, I don’t need to worry about how I “do” it, if I’m doing it right, if I say the right things, if I’ve done enough.

October 24, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion/recommendation! We are always on the lookout for good ones!

• Ally Garner

October 21, 2011

My Mom still has our copy of The Carrot Seed! I vividly remember reading this book with my Dad when I was little. I’m pretty sure this book is responsible for me believing in Santa until age 11. That and maybe Journey’s Don’t Stop Believing provided a little inspiration as well. And Larry is right – Max Lucado’s You Are Special is a wonderful book. It’s typically my go-to gift for friends that have babies.

October 21, 2011

I’m often surprised by the lessons I learn while reading to the kids at night. Might have to add this to our ever-growing library. My son’s bookshelf is literally sagging.

One of my favorite phrases goes something like: “in an economy of words is great wisdom”.

My favorite book to read the kids is “There is a Monster at the End of this Book” because it deals with resisting fear and is just plain fun.

Have a great weekend!

October 24, 2011

Thanks KC, had a good weekend with the kids. Hope you did also!

• chris vonada

October 22, 2011

The Carrot Seed is a new one to me, will have to check it out! My grandson is 2 and we read Dr. Suess’ The Foot Book all the time (I’m going to say it’s HIS favorite :) ). We do a really goofy version of this, I should make a video but I’m afraid it’s way too goofy!!

October 24, 2011

Ha, you should video it and send the link. Now THAT would be funny!

October 24, 2011

I love Little Quack — my girls like to read along and everytime the mama duck says “You can do it, I know you can!” my girls yell it out as an affirmation.

I’m starting to read the classics to them. Little Women, Heidi, etc. but Mia just picked out four kid-level biographies, Anne Frank, Helen Keller, Harriet Tubman and Amelia Earhart and is loving those.

• tom

October 24, 2011

Simple truths and faith. Gotta make sure we don’t get to distracted to please the naysayers that we don’t take intentional time to weed and water…great simple wisdom. Thank you!

October 24, 2011

Gosh….man it’s been so long, but I used to love the Bernstain Bears, the Hardy Boys, Cam Jansen and her photographic memory.

October 25, 2011

Thing is… my daughters still like the berenstain bears! :)

October 24, 2011

To Kill a Mockingbird really isn’t a children’s book, but it is my favorite and I first read it when I was in the 7th grade. Amazing story.

• jenn

October 25, 2011

I’m going to have to check out that book. I love kid’s books! My current favorite is Harold and the Purple Crayon. I’m not sure what the moral of that story is, but it’s very cute.

I also found a new one yesterday. It’s Tom the Cat: I Love My White Shoes. It comes with a cd and it’s so cute! It’s about a cat that is walking around singing “I Love My White Shoes” and then steps in a pile of strawberries, but instead of crying starts singing “I love my red shoes”… and the story goes on from there. I really liked it. I’ll bet your girls would too. I’m going to get it for Shiloh.

• Dan Black

October 26, 2011

I loved the Dr. Seuss Green Eggs and Ham book. Great thoughts and perspective.